Topic

MYOG 3.4 oz $6 pack that didn’t break!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 12:59 pm

3.4 oz pack

I made my first pack last week. It was basically a test of my sewing skills with little expectation of working well. It doesn't look too pretty but was functional on an overnighter I just took in Desolation Wilderness. I used the 5 yards to SUL plan to make it. It weighs in at 3.4 oz using $6 in materials all found at walmart and a thrift store.

I also made a chest pack with leftover material and buckles I had around. This definitely doesn't look pretty but I needed to carry a few more things on the trip. It weighs in at 3.15 oz. The metal and plastic really weigh it down.

I'll be working on more better packs with the size and features I want but just thought I'd share my first one.

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Pretty cool!
Btw we are from similar whereabouts if you're nearby desolation. I think I'd love to share some of my projects with another like minded soul if you'd ever like to do a trip together

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Wonderful stuff, David. I'd love to see some more pictures, and hear some more details!

I think there is something really special about SUL/UL stuff that is also super-affordable (ok, cheap — whatever you want to call it). Not everyone has the means to buy all the latest and greatest SUL gear, so it's really great to see ingenuity used instead of cash.

I'm thinking that the basic material is "blue tarp"? How much weight were you carrying in it? How did the unbreathable "fabric" feel on your back and chest? I'm assuming it's basically waterproof (or would be if you seam-sealed…and how resistant was it to abrasion?

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

@Alex Yeah, I'm in Placerville. We should definitely try and get together!


@Valerie
Thank you! I'll take a couple more pictures and post them a little later.

Yes, the tarp is the lightweight 6×8 version from walmart. I figure I can go through a couple of these to get the pack design down and then spring for the good stuff when I'm ready.

Weight was very roughly 7-8 pounds. I didn't do a thorough pack list but could break it all down, which I might do so I have a good base weight starting point with this setup.

The material felt fine. My back got a little sweaty but no different than any other unbreathable material. Yeah, I didn't seam seal or anything because I knew this pack was not my final one. I noticed on the back part near my waist the material was getting worn. Possibly rubbing against my belt/shorts.

-Lunchbox

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm

David, thanks for the extra photos. Really nicely done, and a great idea of material to use while refining one's design…Interestingly, the tarp fabric would sew a lot like a thicker cuben, so if you're planning on using cuben for part/all of the final pack, you'll feel very comfortable with it.

PostedOct 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm

David, I was going to send you a pm with my contact info but you don't have it set up. You can email me at alexhansen425 atgmail dotcom

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Cool. That would fit right in in my neighborhood. Could you stitch a custom car cover for 1974 F-150 that's missing a RF fender, three wheels, and sits a little in front on account of missing a engine and tranny?

Jeremy Platt BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 6:17 am

Great work David, that looks awesome! I reckon you could sell them to hipster kids on etsy.com for about $100 a pop ha! I'm sure with a little bit of silicone seam sealer and some bits of spare fabric you could keep it going for many trips.

What are you going to make the next ones out of?

PostedOct 23, 2013 at 7:35 am

Nice work, and great idea about using the cheaper materials to practice on first (i should follow that advice). Did you follow any kind of pattern, or did you totally design it yourself?

I've been doing some tests on UHMWPE film recently, and think it might make a good pack material at least. I'm testing 3 mil thick stuff which weighs 2.1 oz a sq/yd. Haven't tried sewing it yet, but if you're interested i can get back to you on that. Heat bonding it, works somewhat, but it seems to lose some strength and is finicky.

(for the material in general, in trying to tear it apart with my hands, i can only stretch it, and i'm pretty strong for my size and not weight lifting etc).

PostedOct 23, 2013 at 10:54 am

Thanks everyone!


@Jeremy
I'm going to use the same material for the next couple ones at least. I'm not in a hurry to have a "final" pack so a $3 tarp can make at least two packs while I'm still experimenting.


@Justin
The pattern I followed was from the 5 yards to SUL article. There was a sample attached to the outside of the tarp package and I tried tearing it or doing damage to it to see how strong it was.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...