Is it safe to simply toss my Bic Mini in with my cooking gear, or do I need to protect it somehow? Might the lever get pressed and vent all its gas?
Topic
BIC Safety Question
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I haven't ever heard of anyone having an issues. I toss it in my cook pot, but on top of everything else. Little chance of the lever being depressed there. If I have my lighter somewhere else where it might be exposed to water, I keep it in a tiny ziploc.
I spend about two extra seconds in placing my lighter in the cook set where it won't get into trouble. I've never had a problem with this in summer conditions.
Winter is different. Butane doesn't work when it gets cold, so I keep both my lighter and my backup lighter in warm pants pockets.
–B.G.–
The lever has a decently stiff spring on it. I've always carried mine in a cooking pot and never had a problem – no unexplained use or loss of fuel.
While I'm fine with one knife, one pair of shoes, and one hat, I do bring two sources of ignition. Mini Bic and a flint; Mini Bic and a book of matches; or two mini Bics. Yeah, you can always rub two boy scouts together, but starting a fire instantly is SO convenient and at times aids one's safety so much, I splurge on the extra 15 grams.
"do I need to protect it somehow? Might the lever get pressed and vent all its gas?"
Just wrap a rubber band several times around the BIC, just below the gas release lever.
Toss in with your cook gear, no need to protect it. BICs are amazing little gadgets. Always good to have another source with you… usually because you might lose your mini Bic.
My BIC is one of those things I never worry about.
I just toss it into my cook pot and don't give it a second thought. I've never had any issues. If you consciously think about what it takes to light one you'll realize it's never going to happen.
I've never had any leak gas either. Besides, redundancy of fire starting should be mandatory. I have at least 4 different ways to start a fire, all totaling less than 2oz. (dryer lint and WP matches, extra esbit or two, firesteel on my neck lanyard) all in addition to my "kitchen mini Bic"
I remove the little tag around the wheel thanks child protects it (and makes it impossible to use with cold hands) and have never had any leakage problems.
Yes, removing the child-protection arc lets your kids learn to light the stove, campfire and really helps me when I have gloves on or cold hands. And it doesn't cause or make more likely any leakage.
> While I'm fine with one knife, one pair of shoes … I do bring two sources of ignition.
+1
Cheers
One in my cookset and one wrapped in plastic baggy in my pants pocket. I also carry a few matches in my first aid kit in my pack. Overkill? Probably..but I'm going to get a fire going in an emergency for sure! To answer you question, no I doubt that would happen, but u should have a backup anyway.
Become a member to post in the forums.

