Topic

Cleaning Hybrid Cuben?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Now that the hybrid cuben/polyester material has been out and in use for a few years, I am curious what you all have found that works well for cleaning it. I have tried the warm water and gentle soap method, and it removes some dirt, but I am curious if there is anything that works well with some of the tougher stains.

FWIW, I have a couple of white HMG packs that could use a cleaning, but I also have some MYOG plans with the material, and I'd like to know how it might work with other colors.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 10:11 am

Can't help u on the colors, but for the plain white hybrid, Oxyclean has been terrific.

Ryan

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hey Ryan,

Just back from a long trip and my HMG white Expedition is very dirty. Was going to give it a bath simply because I want to seal some seams. Sounds like Oxyclean gets good results but is it safe to use on cuben? I know it contains lots of hydrogen peroxide. Have you used it many time?

Thanks

Derrick

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 10:19 am

Derrick,

I have used it 2-3x, but I have never submerged the whole pack in an Oxyclean bath. Only hand washed/scrubbed the polyester side. Maybe try it on some scrap cuben first?

Ryan

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

Maybe just the gentlest soap possible, like Woolite or Atsko Sports Wash.

You don't need to remove stains and make it super white.

I'm skeptical of anything sold in infomercial

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm

"I'm skeptical of anything white used in the backcountry :)"

Exactly! I bought a Zpacks Zero in black cuben hybrid earlier this year. Hides all the sweat stains like a champ.

Ryan

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedOct 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm

black is better to absorb sunlight to dry out in wetter, colder weather

white is better in hot weather to reflect sunlight and stay cooler – if you're in the sunlight

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 24, 2013 at 10:10 am

I gave the bag a bath with gentle soap last night and none of the stains came out but I was amazed at how much dirt come off of it just with gentle hand washing. I've used Oxyclean on localized areas of my white dress shirts before and it definitely shortens the fabric life. Think I will keep it away form my cuben and carry on with my half-stained once-white pack.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...