Topic

WM Summer light – How Cold?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
Charles Grier BPL Member
PostedOct 25, 2013 at 5:08 am

The thing I noticed once I had down added to my Summerlite was a bit more loft, yes, but mostly that the down stayed in place better. I live in an area with typically low (<10%) relative humidity so moisture accumulation is not normally an issue. Also, I didn't need to shake the down to the top of the bag as much as I did before the overfill. And, my bag gained just about 2 oz in the overfill process.

Overshot BPL Member
PostedOct 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

I'm just thinking of the pros /cons for an overstuffed Summerlight, vs an ultralight. It seems that by the time you have a Summerlight overfilled, the weight would be within the ballpark of an ultralight. Ballpark meaning within 6-8 ounces. By using a Summerlight down into the 20's I would need additional clothing as mentioned. Insulated pants, and puffy jacket. I would already have a jacket for those conditions obviously, but could use a lighter one.

I'm thinking that

1) an overfilled Summerlight with additional sleep clothes would be heavier than an ultralight in cool weather (20's)

2)an ultralight in warmer temps (40's) would mean carrying extra fill weight when it may not be needed.

I would say the majority of time, this would be a compromise between the scenarios. For th most part, it seems you can't go wrong with either choice.

PostedOct 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

yes, the Summerlite has no draft collar and very little down in the hood.

Not an issue for me as I wear down hooded sweater and/or other layers in mine when it's cold outside.

Hoods and draft collar are really only important for people who don't wear a lot of clothing in their bag.

This is the reason why quilts have become popular with the UL crowd, to reduce unnecessary weight.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
Loading...