Topic

Golite Chrome or collapsible Chrom umbrella

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 6:50 pm

What do you think? I am leaning the regular chrome dome, but the collapsible is on clearance and does pack smaller.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 6:58 pm

The big one is pretty tough and a dead simple design. If you want one for urban/travel use then the collapsible one might have some advantage; otherwise, the longer one will stow in a side pocket and under the compression straps like tent poles if you pack has such features.

PostedOct 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm

The chrome dome seems to be simpler and sturdier, it is also 3 oz lighter, I would be using this backpacking, I will still be under 10#, so a few comfort items are ok!

PostedOct 21, 2013 at 7:42 pm

For backpacking I would get the non collapsible. It's incredibly simple – I wouldn't trade the strength of a non collapsible shaft for extra space savings when collapsed.

PostedOct 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I shared dinner with some europeans on my local mountain with 15-part hammock setups, Arcteryx everything, and Golite umbrellas. I thought the umbrellas looked a little silly. I say, do what you want, it's the woods, and I didn't say anything about it to them.

I can see them being useful in the desert, not really in the forest.

PostedOct 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I was a non-believer until I hiked the PCT.
The umbrellas were a god-send.
Those without them withered.
Why people live in the desert is still a mystery to me.
The weakness of the umbrella was in the wind or in low hanging chaparral … in both cases I would want the security of the stiffer non-collapsible.

(PS: Max I saw your posted photo album from your last trip. Don't pretend you care about looking silly.)

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Go with the non fiddle factor full size. If you buy from Golite you can get two for the same shipping cost as one.

K C BPL Member
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm

My chrome dome was one of the absolute important items I didn't bring on my backpacking trip to AK this summer, I was huddling next to my buddies with umbrellas by a fire in relentless rain in 36F temps.

John Myers BPL Member
PostedOct 22, 2013 at 5:26 am

"For backpacking I would get the non collapsible. It's incredibly simple – I wouldn't trade the strength of a non collapsible shaft for extra space savings when collapsed."

What he said.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...