Topic

Yosemite Falls & Eagle Peak, November 23-24

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yosemite Falls & Eagle Peak, November 23-24

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"he is old enough to be your grandfather"

I resemble that remark.

It's not how old you are that counts, it's how old you think you are.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bob is a computer program"

Sort of like Alan Turing meets John Muir.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Both Bob and Justin I +1 your comments…friggen made me laugh….nice guys!

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Anyone want to share a bear canister?

I have a Bearikade Weekender. Silly to carry it just for myself.

I guess we can sort this all out in camp.

– Elizabeth

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

My thoughts exactly. I'll be bringing a can but it will not be full. We can discuss at camp like you suggested. I have no problem putting your food in mine or whatever works out.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Thanks for the offer Jacob, but I won't be able to make it. Too much stuff going on right now.
    I'm really looking forward to a trip report.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hey guys,

Wish I could make this one, but I'm out!, (bad impression of the Shark Tank)

You guys may want to check the weather again, looks like snow during the week.

Jack

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

I'm watching it daily. I edited an earlier post discussing the weather but it didn't take I guess. Rain and snow forecasted but a clear Saturday and Sunday as of last night. Maybe I won't have to carry so much water now.

George Maung
    Spectator

@georgemaung

Locale: BayArea

I would like to come if a spot is still available. I was up in Vernal falls this past Monday and it was clear and sunny. The Yosemite Falls was dry. But with recent snow, it should be magical..

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We still have plenty of room George.

It's snowing right now in the Valley, but just an inch or two. Hopefully some of it will stick around until Saturday and we'll get some great snowy views. The weather looks good other than that – windy, but not too cold. The low on Saturday night is forecast to be 26F. If it's really windy we might end up camping in Eagle Peak Meadows instead of on top of Eagle Peak itself.

For those who don't find us by Friday evening in the campground, let's plan on meeting at 9:30 AM. Keep in mind you have to park near the Falls pullout or by Yosemite Village and walk towards Camp 4 to get to the trail, so the "trailhead" location is a bit fuzzy. Let's meet at the signed trail junction for the Falls trail just behind Camp 4 right before the trail starts climbing the hill.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I'm out. :( Would have been great to meet some of you!

Let's do more of these meet-ups. Maybe I'll initiate one, most likely late-spring in the Sierras.

– Elizabeth

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

This from the .gov website: "A high wind warning is in effect from Thu, Nov. 21 at 7 pm through Sat, Nov. 23 at 4 am. The park is currently open, but all park campgrounds are closed as a safety precaution. Adjustments to closures may be made based on conditions and the forecast."

That being said, I am going to pack up in the morning and head out. I've got a 4 or 5 hour drive and will see what's up when I get into the valley. If I can't camp in the valley I will get a wilderness permit and hike to where I can camp. I will be ready for anything. (I hope)

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

OK, so with the campgrounds closed & the Rim Fire closing areas outside the park, there isn't anywhere to camp in or near the Valley this evening. Here is what the Park Service says [dated Thursday]:

"While the winds were calm earlier, the US National Weather Service Hanford California has issued a high wind warning for the Yosemite area from 7 pm tonight through Saturday morning at 4 am, with strongest winds expected between 1 am and 7 am tomorrow morning. While Yosemite is currently open, all park campgrounds are closed as a safety precaution. Based on the number of fallen trees across roads, affected power lines, or other hazardous situations, additional facility and road closures may be necessary."

UPDATE: OK, a few people cancelled due to the lack of campgrounds Friday night and the long drive for just one night out. We are going to go to Henry Coe instead for Saturday night. The plan is to go to Kelly Lake Saturday night via Coyote Creek/Hunting Hollow. I understand if you have a long drive and don't want to come all the way if we are not going to Yosemite. Hopefully people will still be able to make it and I will also plan on setting up another one of these trips sometime soon.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

This may come too late but I'm putting it out in case it helps for your trip:

Just talked with a ranger at Yosemite. They believe hiking on Saturday will be fine as will camping Sat. night. He suggested I talk with Groveland District Ranger Station staff re: camping for tonight, Friday. So I did talk with a staff member out of Groveland.

If some still want to get close to Yosemite to camp tonight: About 6-7 miles past Groveland, drive off of Hwy. 120 to the right to the Grover Ranger District Office. Drive only 1/2 mile farther past the office bldg. on your left, to The Pines Campground which is OPEN. There is no water there, but there is a rest room, no fees at this time of year, no reservations/permits needed and no garbage cans-pack it out.

If you want more info. call the District Ranger office until 4:30 today: 209-962-7825

I am so sorry this great trip may have to be postponed. Hope this could help rescue it.

Jane

Edited: It should be the Groveland Ranger District Office not the "Grover"… which is off of Hwy. 120 out of Groveland.

George Maung
    Spectator

@georgemaung

Locale: BayArea

Andrew

Thanks for organizing the trip. Lets plan another one soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools