Topic

Canyonland backpacking favorites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Canyonland backpacking favorites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul Grube

@plosive

Locale: Above Cache Creek, CA

What are your favorite canyonland hikes? I am new to the Las Vegas area and I am looking for fall hikes within a couple of hours from here.
    Plosive
    “light is right”

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

Paul, I gotta know, where is the canyon shown in your picture? Maybe that can be my next vacation.
    Thanks, Jim Ells

Paul Grube

@plosive

Jim,
    This photo is one taken on a March trip to the Paria Wilderness in S. Utah and N. Arizona. If approved by BPL editors, you will be able to see my article (plus video clip, gear list, 40+ photos, and trip report)in the BPL print format and/or online soon.

Jim, do you have any suggestions for backpacking spots within a few hours of Las Vegas?
    Plosive
    “light is right”

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

I’m not from the Vegas area, but I spent a few days around there this July 4th long weekend. Death Valley is a little far, but really scenic. The higher elevations aren’t too bad in the summer and should be nice in the fall.

The Mount Charleston Wilderness is right out your backdoor, lots of great hiking, maybe not much water, but if you’re willing to carry in enough, you’ll probably have a lot of solitude in the evenings. I didn’t see anyone else backpacking there over the holiday weekend (lots of rock climbers and day hikers).

Heading up to Great Basin National Park would probably also get you a lot of solitude.

Death Valley, Telescope Peak report and photos

Mt Charleston Wilderness, Mummy Mountain report and photos

-adam

Paul Grube

@plosive

Adam, both of those trip reports and photos are GREAT! Do I understand correctly that you still found snow over July 4th weekend?
    Plosive
    “light is right”

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

Yup, I had patches of snow on all the peaks I climbed over that weekend (Boundary Peak, Telescope Peak, Mummy Mountain). So if you wanted to melt snow for water that would have been doable. If you hiked up high enough. Charleston Peak may still have some patches of snow.

-adam

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

Paul, I’m sorry I have no suggestions to give you on Las Vegas area hikes. I am going to Wy. & Co. in Aug. for my 1st trip west. I live near the East Coast.
    Jim

Nathan Chaszeyka

@n_chaszeyka

Paul,
    I am located in Las Vegas as well and would be happy to share the information I have about the area with you. I moved out here 3 years ago for the climbing and other outdoor activities, in that time I have gathered a fair bit of knowledge.

Contact me at [email protected] sometime and we chat a bit.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

What an amazing photo ! I love living in Australia but I think America is brilliant for scenery and adventures. I must get back to the Southwest again and go to the Paria Wilderness !!!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

That puts everything into perspective. Nice shot!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools