Topic

Two New Packs

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedOct 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I've been meaning to post these two projects for awhile. I've been busy sewing packs, and am quite happy with how these two designs came out.

The First is a smaller-volume SUL-minded frameless pack. I've been using it around town as a daypack and am quite happy with it.
Daypack1

Day2

Day3

Day4

The backpanel is Dyneema-X, side panels are XPAC TX07. Bathtub style bottom from 500D dyneema ripstop. Rolltop extention collar and front pocket back are 50D Silnylon. Powermesh front and side pockets. Spacer mesh contoured shoulder straps. Side compression straps. I used thinner 3/4" webbing and 'waveloc' buckles. 9.5oz total weight. I'm quite happy with it.

The second is a larger-volume multi-day UL framed pack. I've been on dayhikes with 40+ lbs in this and I'm really happy with how the framesheet transfers the load, even though I made the torso length a bit short for myself.

Big1big2big3big4

This one has 500D white widow spectra ripstop bottom and backpanel. TX07 sidepanels, 70 D silnylon extension collar and framesheet pocket. Removable carbon-fiber and coroplast framesheet and foam pad. Powermesh side and front pockets. Foam/spacermesh hipbelt.

Total weight is 23.6 oz with framesheet and foam pad installed, 17.2 as frameless pack without framesheet/foam pad.

Anyway, wanted to share these with folks, to see if I could create some inspiration.

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedOct 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Very nice looking packs. I'd love to see some pictures of the frame and how you made it. A 23 oz pack with a frame carrying 40 pounds is pretty impressive.

PostedOct 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

The framesheet is simply a piece of coroplast, the size of the backpanel. There are 1/8" carbon fiber rods shoved into the corrugations. The edge of the coroplast is then finished with polyester tape to remove possibility of slicing fabric with the sharp edges, and to keep the CF rods inplace

PostedNov 4, 2013 at 7:28 am

This was available from Seattle fabrics for years. i bought some stock a few years ago and have been sitting on it.

PostedNov 4, 2013 at 9:51 am

I bought some of the white widow spectra from Seattle Fabrics several years ago, too. The selection of fabrics there is decent, and they often carry a few hard-to-find items, but they are just a clearinghouse. They know little to nothing about what they sell. I copied this description of the White Widow Spectra from the website, when they had it in stock:

"This is a 500 denier nylon with a Spectra carbon filter ripstop reinforcement woven into the fabric. The white carbon fiber ripstop grid gives this fabric a unique look and an ample coating makes it nice and waterproof."

They also assured me that their heat-sealable 70d nylon can be sealed on both sides (it clearly can't). Also, if you order anything from them online, no matter how small (even just a buckle or some buttons), you will be charged $16-$40 for shipping. You have to call in your order and ask them to manually calculate the shipping cost for it. So, be aware of these issues if you use Seattle Fabrics.

Nathan, the packs look great. They look simple, tough, and well-designed. How much does the framesheet on the bigger pack weigh?

PostedNov 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Looking at the photo of the larger pack on your 'model,' to get a fix on size, it's hard to imagine jamming over 40 lbs. of stuff into it. But if you've done that, and it's comfortable to carry, you are really on to something with your pack design. Kudos.

PostedNov 4, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Admittedly, The 40lbs I carried was 90% water weight. I loaded it up with water with the goal of stressing the framesheet and suspension. I would have a difficult time cramming 40 lbs of gear into that thing, unless I was really using all of the outside lashing. And the 40lb 'comfort rating' I expressed surely must have been dependant on the weights' center of gravity being close and tight to my back. The framesheet alone weighs 4.7 oz. Not breaking any records, but I'm quite happy with it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...