Topic

Q.Shield

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I was talking to a customer service rep over at Mountain Hardwear and she said that the coating was to be permanent for the life of the jacket and that if the Q.Shield down failed that you should be able to return it for a replacement.

PostedOct 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm

If that's true, that'd be cool. I was talking to one of the sales people at the MH store in Seattle last weekend, asking him about their new Thermal.Q synthetic insulation and their claims that it's 15% warmer than the leading synthetic… I asked for the Clo of the fill per square meter and he told me 1.67. I call shenanigans as that's The same as 800 FP down. Those numbers would be making headlines if true. I think he might have been giving the total Clo of the jacket, but I don't think he knew the difference as he didn't understand why I was skeptical of his claims.

PostedOct 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Probably referring to the jacket or a mistake. I am pretty sure the clo on the Thermal Q is 1.47.

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm

thats for the 60g … not clo/oz/sqyd

so its not apples to apples

everyone claims they have the best synth insulation .. the problem is differentiating between the marketing spiel and whats real

;)

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedOct 19, 2013 at 6:05 am

Apex is specd at 0.82 clo/oz/yd2 – that's probably the leading insulation

Primaloft One is 0.92

I've never seen any numbers for down but I measured 850FP down at 1.3 and 1.6 clo/oz/yd2

PostedOct 20, 2013 at 6:38 pm

The Q.Shield Down is currently supplied from DownTek, simply rebranded. so I would expect similar performance and life.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 8:00 am

Well that is nice of Mountain Hardwear to guarantee it as the coating is only supposed to last 10-20 washings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...