Topic

LuxuryLite BigStik

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 11:45 am

Has anyone here used this stick. I've found a few endorsements but not much commentary.

I don't use trekking poles except to ford rivers, descend steep slopes with a heavy pack and as tent pole. Loved my rotu locura's with the ability to join them for a strong center mid pole but destroyed two of them on a recent trip. One, when in a river up to my waist when I had to bear all my weight on it to stay up (ultimately I didn't when it broke off) and the other 3 days later when descending a granite ridge and slipped and again put all my weight on it.

As much as I want to be able to make do with them, they just aren't strong enough for off trail hiking.

So looking for the lightest possible pole that can be extended for a mid pole that has the strength to hold my 200 lbs when necessary.

The BigStik is all I can find but am wondering how it all stays together when you lift upward and the pole sticks in? Is there a twist lock of some sort.

Like to hear from anyone who has used it.

Thanks

Derrick

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Thanks Roger. I did a search and . . . missed it I guess. Thanks again.

Derrick

Dean F. BPL Member
PostedOct 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm

There are no twist locks of any kind, but the fit is tight enough that the sections will never come apart accidentally. In fact, you kind of have to make a bit of an effort to get the sections apart so be sure to BoShield T9 the links so that they don't seize. The "knife" is pretty useless; some people have proposed using it as a potty trowel. I would worry that the dirt and grit would gum up the link, but they say that they have no problems.

Me with Big Stik at the Little Colorado River

Frankly, I prefer trekking poles so I don't really use the Stik for anything EXCEPT that with one extra segment it is the perfect length to be the center pole on my SuperMid. So when I'm in a group and we're using my SuperMid I will take it. (Usually in large groups I'm not worried about making great mileage so the extra weight and minor loss of hiking pole efficiency is trivial.) I have an older Stik without the blunt knob, so I have to slip an empty Tylenol bottle over the top so it doesn't cut my tent.

SuperMid with Big Stik as center pole

It isn't some cheap gag item, if that's what you're asking- it is actually pretty well made and incredibly sturdy. It will EASILY take you leaning all your weight on it during a stream crossing- I've done far worse than that to it. And I've come to rather like the Prusik knot wrist-strap- it's also a handy place to hang stuff in your tent if you use the Stik as a center pole. (I also made a "custom" empty Tylenol bottle, as I mentioned above, with two loops of cord to which I can clip carabiners or tie gear to keep it off the ground, away from packrats, alien facehuggers, etc.)

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Thanks. That is exactly the type of informed opinion I was seeking.

Regards
Derrick

Link . BPL Member
PostedOct 21, 2013 at 7:15 am

Joe Valesko from Zpacks carries one if you check out his trip links on his site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...