Topic

UA creates “magnetic zipper” looks cool

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Adam Kramer BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 8:35 am

now you can zip up your jacket with one hand….wonder weight penalty?

the demo comes after 1:00 mark

Youtube video

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

Very cool when you want to zip up, but I could see this being annoying when I WANT my zip jacket to stay open, but every time I move my body enough to engage the magnets, the bottom clicks together (when I want it to stay apart).

Adam Kramer BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

its just the bottom that is magnetic. it just helps start the zipper and gives you the ability to zip up one handed.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I shun magnets in all my gear— they make a mess of compass navigation! They show up in items like bear bells and hydration hose retainers. Be careful.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Adam, I understood the function, that's why I said:

>> the bottom clicks together

Apparently, I wasn't clear — I wouldn't want the BOTTOM of my zipper to accidentally click together when I wanted my jacket to hang open to pick up some breezes.

And boy, yeah, Dale, you're so right — I didn't even pause to think about how it would affect navigation! Note to self: remove that magnetized reservoir clip-holder from my Osprey 10L daypack!

The magnetic zips might be a plus on "city" jackets, or maybe front-country ski jackets, where navigation isn't an issue, and where one would want the jacket zipped most of the time.

To me (but maybe not to you), it seems like the "new" approach solves a very minor problem while creating a whole host of new, major problems.

But if you love it — great! That's why there are multiple products out there — so we can all have choices…

Adam Kramer BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Bpl. always fine discussion. good opinions. I don't think i'd ever pay up for the feature. seems best suited to mitigate removing gloves. I just love that we get to see new innovations daily in outdoor sports.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hated to be a joy kill– just as long as you remember the magnets are there. I like clever uses of such simple things.

It could be bad news if you are hypothermic, dehydrated, scared, lost and you forget!

I believe you can get a non-magnetic version from Osprey for that very reason.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...