Topic

.5 oz cuben stuff sack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear .5 oz cuben stuff sack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    alex hansen

@holden425

i have a friend who offered to make me a 35L dry sack out of his .5 oz cuben, pretty awesome, but due to its application i dont know if it will be strong enough. thats where you guys come in…

the application: i am redesigning my REI flash 45 backpack to cradle a dry bag in the main compartment area. I've cut away most of the main compartment so the pack just has a back panel, bottom, and front panel, with the stretchy mesh coming up a few inches on the sides, and compression straps to keep the front and back panels attached. my idea behind this concept is that it enables me to use different sized dry bags depending on size load im carrying.

will a .5 oz cuben stuff sack carry up to 20 lbs of gear in it without bursting?

alex hansen

@holden425

this is the current, unfinished product. i still have a few mods to complete.
    front
    side view
    feedbag mode this view has the lid in front pack mode

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have a 0.51 oz cuben stuffsack that I use for small stuff and toiletries. After 2 years of use it is covered in tape from stuff poking holes in it and from the stitched seams starting to pull open. A 1 oz cuben drybag that I bought at the same time has no holes and is still waterproof. I would recommend using at least 0.7 cuben and probably the 1 oz if you want it to actually be waterproof.

alex hansen

@holden425

That confirms it. I will just buy a 35l s2s dry bag instead.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Well, it may not work with the extra-thin cuben (for the reasons above), but I really like your concept of adding whatever size bag you need within a lightweight frame…

alex hansen

@holden425

I will probably carry the 35 most the time. But can surely bump it up to a 50 if I need it. One pack to rule them all!

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

That's smart dude. What's the stripped down pack weigh?

alex hansen

@holden425

not sure yet, i will post a complete write up on it when i am finished. so far ive stripped off about 5-6 ounces from a 34 ounce pack, but there is still a good bit to go. im shooting for 24 ounces

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have a 0.51 oz cuben stuffsack that I use for small stuff and toiletries. After 2 years of use it is covered in tape from stuff poking holes in it and from the stitched seams starting to pull open. A 1 oz cuben drybag that I bought at the same time has no holes and is still waterproof. I would recommend using at least 0.7 cuben and probably the 1 oz if you want it to actually be waterproof.

+1

Same experience here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools