Topic

.5 oz cuben stuff sack?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedOct 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm

i have a friend who offered to make me a 35L dry sack out of his .5 oz cuben, pretty awesome, but due to its application i dont know if it will be strong enough. thats where you guys come in…

the application: i am redesigning my REI flash 45 backpack to cradle a dry bag in the main compartment area. I've cut away most of the main compartment so the pack just has a back panel, bottom, and front panel, with the stretchy mesh coming up a few inches on the sides, and compression straps to keep the front and back panels attached. my idea behind this concept is that it enables me to use different sized dry bags depending on size load im carrying.

will a .5 oz cuben stuff sack carry up to 20 lbs of gear in it without bursting?

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm

this is the current, unfinished product. i still have a few mods to complete.
front
side view
feedbag mode this view has the lid in front pack mode

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I have a 0.51 oz cuben stuffsack that I use for small stuff and toiletries. After 2 years of use it is covered in tape from stuff poking holes in it and from the stitched seams starting to pull open. A 1 oz cuben drybag that I bought at the same time has no holes and is still waterproof. I would recommend using at least 0.7 cuben and probably the 1 oz if you want it to actually be waterproof.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Well, it may not work with the extra-thin cuben (for the reasons above), but I really like your concept of adding whatever size bag you need within a lightweight frame…

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I will probably carry the 35 most the time. But can surely bump it up to a 50 if I need it. One pack to rule them all!

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 10:21 pm

not sure yet, i will post a complete write up on it when i am finished. so far ive stripped off about 5-6 ounces from a 34 ounce pack, but there is still a good bit to go. im shooting for 24 ounces

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedOct 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I have a 0.51 oz cuben stuffsack that I use for small stuff and toiletries. After 2 years of use it is covered in tape from stuff poking holes in it and from the stitched seams starting to pull open. A 1 oz cuben drybag that I bought at the same time has no holes and is still waterproof. I would recommend using at least 0.7 cuben and probably the 1 oz if you want it to actually be waterproof.

+1

Same experience here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...