Topic

Katadyn Micropur tablets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katadyn Micropur tablets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    david epley

@renman

Hi all,

Buying the wife a new jacket. Her last was my old Frogg Togg which worked great for about 5 years,around 1300 trail miles, and one summer in Mongolia, but has finally worn out. Her desires are for pockets and possibly pit zips without weighing an unreasonable amount.

I have narrowed it to the Mountain Hardware Epic, The Marmot Precip, and the Mont-bell Versalite.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

If you can afford the difference in price and pit zips are not a necessity, consider the Integral Designs (ID) eVENT Rain Jacket (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=763). eVENT is probably the most breathable of any laminate, and one of if not the most breathable of any hard shell material available.

The ID eVENT Rain Jacket only weighs 8.8 oz in Medium, has only 1 outer Napoleon type pocket, and a hood with only elastic.

You can read the review of the jacket here in BPL at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/integral-designs-event-rain-jacket-review.html

If your wife considers ordering the ID eVENT Rain Jacket (unisex sizing) order one size larger than normal unisex sizing if considering using over a high loft insulation (like down) jacket.

david epley

@renman

posted about rain jackets with a heading of water purification.

Good thing I’m not hiking today, i’d walk right off a cliff thinking I was going swimming.

And thanks for the input on the event jacket. I was thinking about it, but she really wants pockets to stick her hands in.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Obviously your wife’s call for hand pockets; but I personally do not usually use hand pockets for my hands in rain, however hand warmer pockets on a high insulation jacket, that is another question.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My field experience is that they three jackets you mentioned are less breathable than frogg toggs. I would suggest checking out the Montbell Peak. It’s more expensive than the Versalite, but it’s well made, good breathability (not as good as eVENT, but better than most other materials), and have pitzips, and decent pockets.

–mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools