Topic

Sleep system advice for NC mountains

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Andy Anderson BPL Member
PostedOct 16, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I am planning a trip this weekend to western NC to do the AT from Hughes Gap to 19E. Lots of high elevation, 5,000-6,000 feet. The forecast is for a low around 37 on Friday night in Blowing Rock. I am wondering if my sleep system will be warm enough. I also have an original Ultra 20 quilt I could take, but really wanted to try the EE on this trip. I know the temps and wind chill can be lower than the local weather station records in this part of the world.

Trailstar with another person
EE Prodigy 40 degree synthetic quilt
Original Neoair with 1/8" Lawson CCF
Borah Bivy
Nortictrack down puffy hoody from JC penny clearance
Patagonia merino long john top and bottom

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 16, 2013 at 7:17 pm

This time of year at that elevation the 20f quilt would be a safer option, you pad setup sounds fine.

M B BPL Member
PostedOct 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Theoretically, you could see temps into the upper 20s at 6000 ft, or with an inversion it might be 45.

You wouldnt die, regardless.

If its cold, you would be more comfortable with the 20F rated
If its not, you will sweat under it and be sticky and uncomfortable.

Mountain forecast for Roan High Knob (6400 ft) for Fri/Sat/Sun is 45/37/39

More or less, Id say youd be fine with the 40F most likely based on the 6400 ft forecast. Worst case, you are a bit cold if the forecast is wrong.

Ive used my 40F quilt with only fleece top and LJ bottoms down to 28, and I was a bit cold. Not something I plan to do, but if its once in a while, no big deal. Wouldnt want several nights in a row that way.

On a couple day trip, the weather forecast is usually fairly reliable.
On a longer trip, definitely err on side of caution. Roan gets damn cold.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedOct 16, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Andy,
Roan Knob can get cold at night (i.e. below 40F) any time of year, not to mention in October. I'd go with the 20F bag if I was you because, in my opinion, there is nothing more miserable on a backpacking trip than trying to go to sleep when you are truly cold.

With that said, as the others mentioned, you are not going to freeze up there with all your insulating layers on and a 40F bag. So if you really want to try out your 40F bag, then just go into the trip knowing that you might be cold at night.

CW BPL Member
PostedOct 17, 2013 at 5:17 am

+1 for the Ultra 20 (which is more of a 30F quilt anyway)

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

With the bivy, your extra cloths & another person in your shelter you should be fine with a 40* bag. I'd say you might even get to warm. I'm doing a trip this weekend near mt mitchell & taking a 40* bag.

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Depends on how you sleep? I sleep cold, so I would take the 20 degree. I have several friends who sleep warm and would be fine in the 40 degree.

Where are you planning to camp? I think that section is around 20 miles, so I'm assuming just one night. I'm guessing you are approx 7 miles from Grassy Bald/Knob and that is a great dry camp. Fantastic views and the weather looks right for this exposed spot.

If you are looking for something in the woods their is a nice spot approx a 1 mile further north on the left with some protection. Also dry spot.

Bypass Stan Murray shelter/area but can get water here most of the time. Steep walk down.

Barn is next spot and can be crowded. Good camp spots right before barn and water is easy to get.

Little Hump to Hump Mtn have some great spots and the weather again is right for these exposed sites. Some water along this section.

Doll flats is last spot. About 4 miles from 19E. Good spot, but can have people who hike up from 19E.

Enjoy. Great place

Brad

M B BPL Member
PostedOct 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Just depends on your miles and where you want to stay. Cannot beat tenting on the balds if weather permits.

Temps on grassy ridge are forecast 45/37/41 on F/S/S, but the winds are moderate 25/35/20 mph at night.

The wind will make it feel about 5F cooler at least. Sat night would be getting pretty cold.

The views from Overmountain shelter are pretty great though. The shelter sleeps about 30 or more, its never actually crowded even in thru-hiker season.

PostedOct 17, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Even if you don't stay at Overmountain Shelter you should allocate some time to visit the privy. The best view of any privy I have used. Just saying.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedOct 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

No, best privy is either in the Enchantments in north central Washington or Mt Margaret near Mt St Helens in Washington. Actually, several privies both places are about equally good.

PostedOct 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I suppose everyone has their favorite! Personally I think the best are in the N Cascades of Washington. I would have to vote either Boston Basin (below the S side of Forbidden Peak) with Johannesberg in your face or the one at the base of the E ridge on Eldorado, looking at the N side of Forbidden.

View from Edlorado E Ridge privy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...