Hi all,
I recently purchased a Rainshadow 2 (thanks KK!) and used it this last weekend. I pitched it in the Colorado high desert at Shelf Road. There were two of us in it, along with a pile of gear.
Night one: temps got down to 32F. It was pretty cold in the tent and drafty, even with the vent closed. The beak was about 1.5 feet off the ground, and the vent was closed the whole night. When we woke, there was a little condensation on the inside of the tent. Humidity was about 30% outside.
Night two: temps down to 39F. Much warmer in the tent, beak a little closer to the ground, less drafty (until the wind gusted to 40mph, but that was brief). Light rain forced us into the tent. I left the vent open. We awoke to heavy condensation (enough to soak a towel).
In neither case was the pitch drum tight. In both cases, it was a fair and stable pitch. I read lots of reviews, talking about only mild condensation in humid places. I saw lots of pics of people camping in this tent in the snow. So…what am I doing wrong?
We got this to replace the Nemo Espri LE 2P we had been using (which the GF says is too small and I say is too heavy), but the condensation is a real problem, as is the draftiness.



