Topic

Winter Colorado Suggestion

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedOct 14, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I posted this question at Winter Hiking, unfortunately no one answered it.

So I want to try it at here, see if someone could give me some suggestion on winter snowshoes trip in Colorado.

Basically, we are going to have a 3-5 days backpacking and snowshoes trip at the end of December. We decided to focus on the trails around RMNP or several sections of CDT.

We are not going to try high altitude peaks, especially 14ers. We just want to having some fun with snow and enjoy the trip. But we are worried about there will be too much snow, even with snowshoes would not be a good choice.

So anyone got some recommendation on which area we are going?

PostedOct 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm

"But we are worried about there will be too much snow, even with snowshoes would not be a good choice."

In late December "to much snow" is unlikely. If there is a massive storm immediately preceding your trip you "might" have a problem, but I doubt it. Rocks on the other hand… Be sure your packs are set up to carry the snowshoes.

Liang Kong BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I think too much snow wasn't referring to weather. Instead it talking about snow accumulated on the trail.
2 years ago when I was outta there some sections of the trail were totally covered and hard to find.
Furthermore, snowshoes sink really bad on fresh/powder snow. If the snow gets close to 4ft deep it's almost impossible to hike through.
So I guess the question is how is the snow condition on CDT.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...