Topic

Grand Canyon Corridor Water

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedOct 12, 2013 at 4:01 pm

How do you handle water for a Rim-to-Rim after October 15th, when the usual sources are shut off?

I'm counting on Indian Gardens and Phantom, but that leaves a long stretch to the North Rim and back.

I'm used to carrying a pump which, for me, is fast and immediate.

Other suggestions or considerations?

PostedOct 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Other options include a Steripen, a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, or chemicals like Aquamira or Micropur tablets.

Dean F. BPL Member
PostedOct 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

Van- he's asking about SOURCES, not treatment options.

Is the creek inaccessible all the way up North Kaibab Trail? It looks like there must be places to reach it.

PostedOct 13, 2013 at 10:12 am

I know the Roaring Spring is the last water before the top. I can handle 5 miles.

I Don't know if the creek is generally accessible between Roaring Spring and Phantom. All I need is one spot about mid-way to refill. I've been surprised before by the elevation between the a trail and the thin blue line next to it.

Art … BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2013 at 7:02 am

when you leave Phantom Ranch for the North Rim you will travel right at creek level for 3-4 miles. Beyond that I don't remember any sources where you can easily use your water filter.

The pump house is right on the trail about 5 miles below the north rim. I doubt the water is on all winter, but probably longer than at Cottonwood.
the Roaring Springs themselves are quite a bit off route.
I think there is a creek just before the pump house, there was a bridge, but I don't recall exactly how close you are to the water.

above the Pump House there are no sources where you can use your water filter.

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedOct 14, 2013 at 7:22 am

Last time I did a double crossing (2008) was in January, and the water was on at the pump house.

PostedNov 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Bright Angel Creek is accessible, every thirty minutes or less, along the trail from Phantom Ranch to the Roaring Springs bridge.

And during the fourth week of October, 2013, water was still turned on at all the usual points.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...