Topic

merino more itchy over time?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) merino more itchy over time?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

So… now that yall have educated me on how to launder my merino..

can you tell me this:

Does the merino get more scratchy/itchy with time and wear and more launderings???

While it felt quite soft on my hands at the store, trying it on at home I notice it feels just slightly itchy/scratchy on my belly… That might be tolerable, but if it gets significantly worse then merino might not be for me and maybe best to return now in new condition…

thanks for your advice.

Bill D.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

All my merino stuff seems to be getting softer over the years. I use woolite and cashmere soaps. If you take good care of it merino wears well.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Drusilla,
    thanks but it seems you are commenting on the softness of the merino items that are offered from year to year.

But I am asking about MY PARTICULAR shirt I just bought. Does anyone know if it will get more itch/scratchy with time/laundering?

thanks,

Bill D

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

Hi I saw the advice given on washing merino wool. I will add my 2 cents to that:
    1. Many top loading washers will put holes in wool. That agitator does that. I don't even trust frront loaders
    2. I hand wash, usually WITHOUT soap. My expensive merino deserves this. Soap doesn't do much to mask the wet wool aroma, which I like.

RE: Itching: I have had Smartwool and now have Icebreaker merino wool shirts. None have gotten itchy. I've never had Patagucci merino. If my merino shirt was itchy, I'd take it back for an exchange for a different lot number or brand.

good luck.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

it would seem the only person that knows about YOUR PARTICULAR shirt is you.

what brand is? how many microns is the wool fibre? etc

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Pataguchi… microns? Unknown.

Bill D

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

From other threads, reports show a minority of folks find merino itchy no matter what. It isn't "itchless" for everyone. Yet those who don't feel the itch, claim it's itchless for everyone, because it is for them. Sorry, can't help you with the "more" part of your question. If it were mine, and it itched, I'd return it while it was still new(ish).

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

It will not Bill, in fact it will may likely get LESS itchy after a few washings! What you are probably feeling is not the merino, but the sizing used to make it easier to knit the fabric. While sizing is washed about after the manufacture of the fabric, some remains which will wash out after a few washings. The remaining sizing washes out and the wool will be softer after the first few of washings.

It will not get itchier with time or remaining washings.

Jim

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Thanks Jim… exactly what I wanted to hear… but, tell me… what do you mean by the word 'sizing' ??? It seems you are not referring to the size as in S M L of the shirt?

thanks,

Bill D

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My merino is aging nicely.

-Max

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Actually, Patagucci merino is NOT 100% merino wool (like Icebreaker, Smartwool, etc.); rather it is a mix of merino and nylon (for durability). Perhaps it's the nylon that feels scratchy to you…maybe you'd prefer a 100% wool version?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Use gentle detergents and watch the dryer heat. IMHO, dryers do a lot of damage to technical fabrics. Low heat is the rule. I wash all our synthetics and wool socks, etc in a separate load and dry them at low heat with dryer sheet/softener.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Yes. The Pataguchi Merino says 80% merino and 20% Polyester on the collar… on the tag it says 20% Capiline fiber blend..

As to which is feeling scratch… hard to say… but it's not bad… and I'd keep it if I'm pretty sure it won't get worse.

thanks

Bill D

TJ Christopher
    BPL Member

@compel

Sizing is a chemical mix that is added to yarns to strengthen the fibers to reduce breakage while they're being woven into fabrics. You never really know how good of a wash the textile producer or the garments maker gives the fabric so you might have some residue of the sizing in your shirt.

Also I wouldn't use fabric softener with wool or technical fabrics, since it 'softens' again by coating the fibers with chemicals designed to lubricate and reduce the static build up. This coating will potentially interfere with the desired natural or engineered properties of the fibers you wanted in the first place.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Yea… I would rather jump off a cliff than use fabric softener.
    I am chemically sensitive and the smell of fabric softener is one of the worst… good for a 3 day migraine… ugh. I can't stand even going into a house where it is used or standing next to someone with it on their cloths… the idea of it being on MY cloths is an idea to burn those cloths!

Bill D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools