Topic

Hide Name In Posts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Hide Name In Posts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Is there a way to post on this site without having your real name show up. I don't particularly care if you guys know who I am, but I don't like having my name show up on Google. If I use a false name, would my mailing/billing addresss show the false name as well?

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Ditto that.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Good point.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I omit my surname (initial only) from my primary name/address, but include it in my billing name/address. An alias should also work. Charges and shipments go to my billing name/address. When I renewed my subscription my primary name somehow got reset, but I was able to change it back through 'My Account'.
    The ability to add a screen name would be welcome. Perhaps in the web site makeover?

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I successfully changed my surname to an initial. How do you change the lowercase name in parentheses that is below your full name?

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Deleted

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for the great idea! I didn't like my (long and silly) last name out for web skulkers, either.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

So how did you get rosierabbit in the ( )?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I have to say that your names w/ an initial are not only boring and impersonal ( a trend I hope that does not spread) but that it's more than a little like the proverbial dutch boy trying to plug up an infinite amount of holes in the d-ike (oops, another unmodified word the profanity filter won't let you use—who created this filter– a P.C. religious zealot?) You should worry more about other ways of extracting personal info on the web then from using your full name on this fairly obscure site. There's software, easily available, that would allow one to display your domain, location, the very computer you use, how you use that computer and more. And it gets scarier than that.

In short, there are more important things to worry about (IMHO).

Steve .

@pappekak

Kevin, Tor and a NAT firewall are easy solutions for that.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Not really, there are ways around both for the dedicated baddies.
    Besides, many people would have to be educated to use them, know their limits, and how to troubleshoot them.

Steve .

@pappekak

For the NSA, yes. For the most hackers, no. Install Tor and then do a TraceRoute for something like BPL. If you are in the US, Tor runs you through a scad of non-US NATed computers worldwide.

You can use GRC.com's SheildsUp to verify that your true domain and location is hidden when using Tor.

If you want encrypted data use a VPN service.

If you want Trojan detection use a firewall that checks outbound traffic and not just inbound traffic.

Personally I use both hardware and software firewalls (not Microsoft or Norton), a NAT device (my DSL modem), a virus filtering / internet monitoring program, and turn my computer off when I'm not using. I also don't use wireless routers, not that I'm paranoid or anything like that.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Henry B – I don't remember how I got rosierabbit in the ( ). It happened when I first signed up on BPL. I don't see anywhere in the account information how to change it. Or were you asking how I got such a long and silly fake name for the ( )? I don't remember that, either. It's a hangover from college days that has followed me around ever since. I even asked an old college chum if she could remember. Nope. I may try to come up with some wildly entertaining (fictional) explanation sometime.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Kathleen, I was trying to figure out how to change the name within the ( ). There does not seem to be a way to do it.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I would like to use my "trail name".

First & Last name can go out the door for all I care.
    I would rather be the above…

SHORTLEG

Addie Bedford
    Spectator

@addie

Hey all! Addie here, and I just wanted to let you know that we post username and full names on forums to avoid the abuses of anonymous posting that we've experienced in the past. When your name is displayed, you are generally more accountable for what you post – less likely to flame, more likely to be thoughtful, etc. We've made a few exceptions for those very concerned about privacy, which is why you'll find folks with initials only…but both the intials and their usernames are displayed. Changing your username is fine, but the catch is that I have to do it for you, so just write me a customer support issue and let me know what you want the new name to be.

Have a great day!
    Addie

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Im surprised to see anyone using their family name in posts, especially if it is unusual. On all sites I use my real first name so people who know me can find me; and full name with those I do business with over the internet. Otherwise, there is no more credibility in what I say if you knew my name were 'Smith' or 'Jones' or whatever.

I must say, though, that this site is very cordial and respectful of its members; quite unlike some other outdoor recreation sites. I hope BPL is using up to date security for our personal information; hidden or not.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Musing—I guess the community has become so large that we now have to flee to relative anonymity. Fears of loss of privacy, malicious acts, perhaps some here have had actual experiences of such. Earlier days on BPL (beyond the old anon posts) felt more, well, collegial. i wonder if this might have something to do with some of our old posters leaving the building.

Sign 'o the times…

Back to work.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools