The Murmur straddles a weird middle ground that was tough for me to successfully stay within: when carrying truly light loads (in practice, day hikes โ only a little food, not much water) it has more capacity than I needed (a floppy sack on my back); alternatively, even on short weekend hikes (where its capacity is about right), I would have benefited from a true hip belt leaving the trailhead (@ ~10lbs base weight). Though just a strap, the hip belt did take some weight off of my shoulders but not in anyway I would consider particularly comfortable over the course of a day; and re. stabilizing, I don't remember thinking that was a problem — maybe if one were to run with it.
For the price, I donโt have a better suggestion. However, for me, an extra oz or two of a proper hip belt would be weight well spent — to Art's point above.