Topic

SilNylon vs Cuben rain jackets

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Jon Leibowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 8:37 am

I'm looking to purchase a longer lasting lightweight alternative to my driducks rain gear. For the record, I absolutely love Driducks. I wore my jacket in 5 straight days of heavy rain this summer in the Weminuche and it performed flawlessly. The only problem, the shoulder area always rips from my backpack. Sure you can duct tape them a few times, but eventually they get gunky and I just buy a new set. That being said, buying four sets of driducks is still cheaper than buying a silnylon jacket and you can buy 10 sets for the price of a cuben jacket – but I just find it wasteful.

So, I'm looking at sticking with the minimalist rain gear and wanted to know if some folks here have experience with both silnylon jackets and cuben jackets and can offer some advice. How would you compare their strengths and weaknesses? Durability? Funk factor? I've read very good things about ZPacks Cuben jacket and I've also read great things about silnylon versions such as Lukes Ultra Light and AGG's version.

Silnylon is considerably cheaper….but maybe it's worth spending the money on the cuben gear for better breathability and durability?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostedOct 11, 2013 at 8:53 am

A non breathable fitted rain jacket is the worst thing I tried, lots of moisture even sitting around in the freezing cold.

PostedOct 11, 2013 at 8:56 am

Sorry, I don’t have an answer for your original question, but before you give up on DriDucks you might want to try out this company’s new rainwear using a similar material. Maybe it will have better durability.

http://www.envirofitgear.com/

They haven’t released it yet so you might have to wait a little while, but they showed a lightweight parka at Outdoor Retailer Winter 2013. See here.
http://gossamergear.com/wp/tag/outdoor-retailer-winter-2013

PostedOct 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

Only a partial answer here. I have used Dri Ducks and silnylon rain gear. For comparison I used a silnylon Packa in Maine several years ago when it rained almost every day during my three week section hike on the AT. It performed flawlessly for me. I view rain gear as gear for warmth as opposed to gear for rain protection. Almost all rain gear that I have used, breathable and non breathable caused condensation during activity but added warmth. I have a cuben Packa but have not had an opportunity to test it out as of yet. It is non breathable cuben and I suspect that it will perform the same as silnylon.

PostedOct 11, 2013 at 9:35 am

I used Driducks with decent success also. But early this summer I splurged on the Zpacks WPB cuben jacket and 1.0 oz Cuben pants and they are fantastic.
I ordered the pants in the standard Cuben since I may not wear them unless it is very cold.

Cost is crazy but performance is very nice. I am not a person that sweats heavily but I have raked and shoveled rock for my driveway wearing the set and the moisture level inside was very acceptable.

I posted a review as well. Since then I have worn while backpacking and I love them!
Definitely get the pit zips if you order-well worth the extra $. The cut is roomy but not awkward and the quality is great.

Another use I have found is wearing the pants as a VBL for added warmth in my bag as I am a very cold sleeper. I partnered them with my 55* bag 2 weeks ago and I was toasty all night with zero sweating.

weight for the medium set was 9 oz.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 9:35 am

Try a poncho instead. A GoLite is just 7oz and $60 and you will see used ones here. I'd love to get a Cuben poncho, cost aside. You get pack cover and emergency shelter as well an rain coverage to your knees. A simple belt of light cord with a toggle will help to tame it in wind and brush.

Non breathable rain gear is miserable stuff and the reason that they can sell $700 rain jackets.

You might consider taping your DriDucks before using it. You can do a nice neat job on the bench at home.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 10:33 am

Maybe you could buy a new DriDucks jacket, and before wearing it, adhere some nylon taffeta (mid-weight) rectangular "patches" to the areas of the jacket that become abraded.

I don't know what kind of adhesive would be best for this, but there are people on BPL who are incredibly knowledgeable about adhesives. With the proper adhesive, the patches wouldn't separate from the jacket, nor would they become "gummy" with wear (as duct tape does).

USA Duane Hall BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 10:35 am

I've used my Gram Weenie, silnylon anorak in Alaska and some here in the lower 48. Works, has held up from limited usage, but I've had condensation in it. Nothing major, better than cold rain. Weighs 4 oz. I don't care for the functionality of the hood, does not allow looking to the side much.
Duane

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 11:31 am

its pretty durable for its weight, is somewhat breathable, and is backed by OR's unlimited bear eat it and well take care of it warranty

and its still looks urban enough that you can wear it socially in the city

its 85 smackaroos at prolite … and you can find it on sale at other places for around 100$

http://www.prolitegear.com/or-helium-2-closeout.html

it weights ~ 6 oz in a medium

;)

Jon Leibowitz BPL Member
PostedOct 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences. The OR Helium II sure looks nice. That jacket wasn't even on my radar. And really…it's only about .5 ounces more than my DriDucks. hmmmmmm

Dale, I've considered a poncho and my shelter is actually a gatewood which is a poncho, but I always hike in long sleeves and long pants and I've always been hesitant to go the poncho route and get my arms and legs wet.

Valerie, good idea with pre-taping/protecting the Driduck….hmmm.

I'm not helping my decision making, but then there is also the not super breathable, but very light SD Cloudairshell at 4 ounces.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...