Topic

Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Just thought I'd post this because it is the lowest price I've seen for pure UHMWPE fabric:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Dyneema-Woven-Fabric-Plain-Weave-Spectra-Fabric-White-400D-UHMWPE-Cloth-125g-160cm-width/1314595820.html

fabric

This is plain-weave 400D composite reinforcement cloth, 4 oz/square yard, 63 inches in width. It is being sold in two-linear meter lots for $100 (free shipping), which is half of the cheapest prices I've seen before for pure woven UHMWPE. Note that the relatively loose weave, the slipperiness of the fibers, and the lack of any coating makes application of this to most backpacking projects questionable. I'm posting this as a favor to those who have expressed an interest in trying to use a fabric like this, not because I believe that it is worth it. I don't plan on buying any, myself.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Good luck sewing it, too. Bet it breaks most needles/machines in a heartbeat.

M

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

A year or so ago someone found a similar deal and posted it. Several of us were discussing a group order. Then Ryan Jordan saw the thread and told us all about sewing that stuff. Basically it would have been impossible with the sewing machines we had. So that idea died.

Great stuff I'm sure just do you research and make sure you can work with the stuff.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have no idea, but the titanium coated sewing needles might be able to handle fabric like this, but one might need a more heavy duty, industrial type sewing machine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It's still too heavy and too expensive for use, besides the other potential issues. For the price of the material, you could buy some pre made clothes that are on clearance for a bit more. They make UHMWPE t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, socks, etc as protective clothing.

Or, if making a pack, you can buy the Ebay "bullet proof" material that they sell for reasonable. It's coated and cheaper, but i imagine pretty hard to sew or work with.

Well, thank you for the heads up anyways.

I've kind of given up on the project. I have some Dyneema protective long sleeves that i use for motorcycle riding (fairly cheap, like 20 dollars a pair). I plan on just increasing the lifetime of my lower pants and sleeves of shirts/jackets by using these over same sort of how i use it for motorcycle riding. I will add velcro to them to help it stay better.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Chain saw chaps? Haul bags?

It should sew fine as it looks like a loose weave. You would probably have to cut it with a hot cutter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools