Topic

Carbon-Fiber Toggles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Carbon-Fiber Toggles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I picked up some carbon-fiber toggles for my hammock setup (Marlin Spike Hitch) and was surprised after my last night when I noticed both of them were crushed in the middle…

Carbon Fiber Toggles

The "knot" on my tree strap was slightly stuck inside the toggle! If I were going to be out another night I would have picked up a nice stick to use rather than trusting these any more.

Anyone else out there have issues like this? All of my other toggles are aluminum and I've never had a problem with them. These carbon toggles have a smaller diameter than my aluminum toggles – I wonder if that was part of the issue?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Doesn't surprise me. This is not the direction of load that CF is ideal for.

How weight savings over aluminum tubing ones is there? I use toggles made from a cut easton nail stake, and have never had a prob. They're also alot easier to see if I lose them.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I just weighed them…

My scale only goes to the gram level, but here are the results:

Carbon fiber toggle – 1 gram
    Aluminum toggle – 2 grams

I just ordered a set of aluminum toggles to replace the CF ones…I guess I'll be carrying a couple extra grams with me next trip.

My toggles have short loops of string on them and I tie them to one end of my tree strap so they're always where I need them. About the only way I could lose one would be if the string broke or if I lost (or forgot to take down) my strap.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools