Topic

Emergency Flight Insurance?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Emergency Flight Insurance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If I need an emergency helicopter flight from my rural community to an urban medical center it will cost me about $25,000.

I just spent 4 days walking a 100 mile trail in my neck of the woods. For 80% of my hiking I'm close to home, but most policies for backcountry rescue and "travel insurance" have a "… when more than 100 miles from home…" clause. (This would be a medical evacuation, not a search and rescue mission.)

Does anyone have information on "close to home" flight insurance?

I've been digging a bit with little luck. I found MASA but it runs $540 a year, about twice what I was expecting to pay.

If you Know of a carrier addressing this need I'd appreciate the lead.

Thanks.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Greg,

I'm working on a BPL article about rescue insurance. If you find anything, let me know. Article might be published early next year.

— Rex

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Rex,
    There are a number of plans out there for "away from home". When/IF I find something for "close to home" you'll see it posted here.

Be aware that many "away from home" policies are for transport after the fact, and do not cover "immediate medical rescue". In Colorado a search requiring a helicopter for location/extraction is usually not billed. But if that same helicopter extracts you with a compound fracture, heart condition, HAPE, etc., it becomes a medical evacuation, and you Will get a bill.

I look forward to your review.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Bump…

Rob Reynolds
    BPL Member

@rfreynol

Targeted at scuba divers, DAN insurance covers most activities.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Exclusions:
    …. if the Insured’s tickets do not contain specific travel dates (open tickets);

So if a ticket is not involved, this policy isn't for you.

Evacuation:
    The Insurer will pay for Covered Emergency Evacuation Expenses incurred if an Insured suffers an Injury or Sickness while he or she is on a Trip that warrants his or her Emergency Evacuation.

So if you get lost, this policy won't work for you.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The DAN insurance isn't what it may sound like, to me. They must be called for their evacuations and it can only be from a geographic location where emergency vehicles can drive to, not miles into the backcountry.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/files/handbook.pdf

"Emergency Evacuation does not include efforts to locate an injured person whose location is unknown, or efforts to rescue such persons from a dangerous situation or location. Emergency Evacuation may begin only after the injured person is made available at a location which can be reached by emergency medical services personnel."

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some medical insurance plans will cover "medically necessary" emergency flights. Might be worth checking your plan details, or asking your insurance agent.

Some medical flight services offer annual memberships that cover you (or you and your family), for any medically necessary flights at no cost. If most of your trips are in the same area, might be worth considering.

However:

– Membership in one service usually does not transfer. If you need a medical flight outside their service area, you pay full cost.

– Sometimes multiple companies cover an area. You don't get to choose — EMS calls whoever can respond fastest, or rotates between companies. You might need membership with multiple companies.

— Rex

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Geos provides worldwide provides search and rescue insurance

AXA Insurance also provides travel insurance.

AXA also has multiple offerings:
    single trip
    annual multiple trip
    backpacker/long stay (for up to one year away)
    winter sports
    adventure sports
    medical travel

Lastly, I did a search for: air ambulance insurance companies
    Google: air ambulance insurance companies
    …and found multiple results
    Airmed, for example, charges $385 per year for family coverage.

Mike

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

My article Rescue Insurance for Backpackers has been posted, with information on emergency flight insurance.

— Rex

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools