Topic

Sleeping clothes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping clothes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

What is the best material for sleeping in cold weather, as far as underwear. Merino is more for activity, right? Also, any recommendations for something really warm to for my kid to wear on her head while sleeping under tarp or possibly under stars?

thanks

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Any base layer- merino included- works for sleeping. If cold enough, wear an insulation layer. All the usual benefits and drawbacks of the various options apply.

For on the head- it depends upon the temperature. A fleece hat or balaclava if not too cold (below 40F?), but if it is very cold then a down or other insulated hood or hat. REI had a down hat once- I'm not sure if they still do. It was kind of thin, with a brim, though. Jacks R Better and Feathered Friends make down hats and hoods, as do some other manufacturers.

Or, use "sleeping clothes" that include a hood- a hooded merino top or hooded light down jacket. Dual use.

I've come to beleive in having hoods on my tops.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I use a merino hoody with a second layer if temperatures warrant. If it's much below freezing I'll add a watch cap too.

Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

for the hoody tip fellas. Was bout to pull the trigger on a top for her and will def good one with a hood. Love the experienced advice on BPL.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I like uisng a Mec t2 hoody for sleeping in, it means I have one less hat to pack.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i tend to go out when it's cold (<20*f daytime), fairly light, for 2 or 3 days and typically no more than 5. for me, sleeping clothes are some combination of everything i've been wearing, starting with my base layer (which never comes off) of running tights (if cold enough to need the tights with my soft shell pants) and long sleeve drifit shirt, which would be followed by a the power stretch hoodie and the schoeller fabric soft shell pants (which seldom come off) i was hiking in. i do everything possible to avoid sweating (too much) into the clothing i'm wearing while hiking. the temp rating of the sleeping bag i’m taking is based on the assumption that i’m wearing my soft shell pants and power stretch top to bed. . i also have appropriate for projected temp top and (if projected very cold) bottom puffy insulation layer for around camp/rest stops that i can if need, but don't plan on sleeping in layer.

there are other combination/permutations of what i wear, but the above would be the template and is for the most-part, all thee clothing i'm brining.

for the kids hat i'm thinking something like an aviator/trappers hat with fold down ear flaps with intergrated chin strap. gives full head/ear coverage and is not as easy as some other hats to push off while sleeping. also doesn't cove the face, which some kids hate.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Been using Smartwool Midweight for sleeping since almost Day 1 of my camping life. I'm still on the same set.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Merino 200 weight tights, legless, icebreaker. 5.4 oz. For me.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a "light" set of merino for summer (Ibex Echo top and bottom) and a "heavy" set for shoulder season (Icebreaker 200 bottoms and Ibex Indie Hoodie top). Love them.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Locale: Southern California

Pretty much what everyone else said, I love Merino, it tends to have less odor after a few days of body oils etc. My Patagonia Heavyweight bottoms don't smell appealing after a few evenings around camp.

Can't go wrong getting a puffy with a hoody, it provides so much warmth for the weight (one of the tips I picked up off of Skurka's book when I was reforming)

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

For me, mid-weight merino is typically too heavy to carry as sleep wear. Not to mention, it is only worn for sleeping, so the no-stink properties are not all that useful. Also, the synthetics would dry quicker when washing (if you are on a longer trip). Lastly, merino is typically more expensive than synthetic counter parts.

Using Montbell as an example, a mid-weight baselayer weighs:

Synthetic (Montbell Zeo-Line MW) – 5.1 oz
    Merino (Montbell Super Merino MW) – 6.7 oz

Again, this is for mid-weight baselayers. If you are using lightweight baselayers, the weights are closer to the same. You would then just be deciding if you want no-stink, or faster drying.

All of my long sleeve sleep baselayers are mid-weight. If it is not cold enough for a mid-weight layer (freezing or below for me) then I just wear the lightest short sleeve top I can find, and some Ex-officio briefs.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Or, use "sleeping clothes" that include a hood- a hooded merino top or hooded light down jacket. Dual use.

I've come to beleive in having hoods on my tops."

Agree with Dean F.

I sleep with a hooded synthetic insulated top with my quilt. For bottoms, just my underwear.

No extra clothing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools