Topic

YOSEMITE ALTERNATIVE NEEDED

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning YOSEMITE ALTERNATIVE NEEDED

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

I was planning on a four day hike in the Yosemite backcountry finished with a final day hike of Half Dome starting on 10/21/13; however, the NP and NF closures have put my plans in jeopardy. I will arrive and depart from San Francisco SFO. My research of CA State Parks fails to find a trail system to put together a three to five day back country trip. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for a three to five day back country trip within a reasonable drive of San Francisco. Thank you.

Happy Trails

Mark

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

It's just north of Yosemite, and much of the terrain has some of that same wonderful granite. you can easily find a five day trip there–we've got a few of them on our website under the destinations section: backpackthesierra.com.

But beware! Late October will almost certainly mean snow on the ground, and it's really only a question as to whether you are going to see 3 inches or two feet. Anything over about three inches will obliterate the trail—so if you are not comfortable navigating without a trail, stay out of the mountains.

And it will be cold. We had temps down into the low 30's two weeks ago. It could easily drop below zero F in October at elevation.

The alternative might be something like Henry Coe State Park south of San Jose. It's quite large, and while you won't be hiking in the Sierra or getting over 5,000 feet, you can certainly spend a few days exploring the coast range…and living to tell the tale.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Phil,

Thanks for the reply information and insight. Greatly appreciated.

Mark

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

You might want to check out the Lost Coast north of Fort Bragg, south of Eureka. The southern half is the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park. Really beautiful, remote, rugged up and down ridges the whole time. The northern portion is beach hiking where you need to check the tide book to make sure you can get across portions of the trail.

You won't be dealing with snow but it can rain hard on the north coast. It's probably 4-5 hours drive to one of the trailheads from SF.

Travis W
    Spectator

@lobopac

Locale: Central Valley, CA

+1 on the Lost Coast. Not the Sierra, but a very cool experience. Need to time tides in a few sections on the northern section. Nights getting a bit cooler, but at this point the long range forecast looks dry for the next 10 days.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Most of the national forests shouldn't really be closed, by that I mean they aren't blocking off parking areas and roads or ticketing people.
    The trinity alps are similar to the sierras, high alpine with lots of granite. Jerry Adams said he went there recently and didn't have any issues with closures.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Paul, Joseph, Travis, Justin,

Thank you for the information. This gives me some options. Greatly appreciated.

Mark

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Let us know what you ended up doing.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Looks like the Park is open for business. Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions.

Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools