I am looking for a UL or very lightweight overnight pack for my kids, ages 6,7 and 11. They currently carry all of their own gear, minus tent and food. They use small 20 degree Golite Quilts and small neo-airs. The packs they currently use now are an Osprey Imp and REI something, I forget off hand which model it is. I am currently useing a ULA CDT pack and I love it. Are there any packs made for children like this that weigh very little?
Topic
kids UL pack
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Shoot Ron an email over at Mountain Laurel Designs, the Prophet comes in XS which is listed as being for kids. Depending on the size of your kids, a small Burn might even work. Another more costly option would be to contact Zimmerbuilt to make something custom.
I purchased one of these for my girls. I think he has stopped making them but you could shoot him a PM and ask.
Not sure what your budget is, but Joe at ZPacks could hook you up too.
Depending on the 11 y/o's torso size, a ULA Ohm 2.0 might work. Bought one for my daughter when she was 12. She loves this backpack never complains about how well it carries the weight. I have this pack too and feel the same way.
The ULA Circuit comes in Kid sizes. Shortest torso size appears to be 12".
I figure I paid about $130 or so for my CDT pack, so I would be ok spending about that for a smaller lightweight children's pack..give or take a few dollars. I can't really see spending much more for a much smaller size pack..
Not super light, but my kids have used the REI flash packs. About 2 pounds, roomy, reasonable cost and they carry really well. Plus you can take it back if it doesn't work.
Can't really call it UL (3 lbs) but my son has an Osprey kids pack. He's 12 now but started using it last year at 11.
(http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/youth_backpacking/ace_48)
It really takes a beating, he can load it up with whatever he wants to carry and I don't have to worry too much about gear breakdowns. Also, I find that his gear is mostly my leftover gear and not as packable. For example he uses a synthetic 20 deg bag that takes a lot more space than mine. Also, kids often don't have things like super small/lightweight rain gear.
The bigger pack really works well for him and my advice is this type of pack for a 11/12 year old (plan for a few years out).
For smaller kids, they can use almost anything. You're not really going to go farther than a few miles with a 6 year old or even 9 year old. The idea is to just introduce them carrying anything and you could use any $10 dollar school backpack. For my 9 year old daughter she's more interested in the color of the pack (pink or purple please) rather than the weight.
Not UL, but my boys use the REI Flash Women's Small. They are 10 and 13. The torso fit, but the hipbelt was to big so I sewed on some foam from a blue foamie (covered with some nylon) to the inside of the hipbelt.
Before that, I made them some MYOG packs that were really lightweight when they were 7 and 10. They were great until taken to Boy Scout camp and got loaded down with too much gear and started to pull apart at the seams. They were beginning to outgrow the MYOG packs anyway, so we switched them to the REI Flash and they have worked great for our last few trips.
My son used an adjustable circuit for a year. He used up the whole ~13-18" adjustment range in that time. Carried up to 30 lbs, no complaints. I recall it weighed about 35 oz with accessories removed and small hipbelt.
I find (for my kids) that a 35L Jam in size Small makes a great kids pack. My 9 year old daughter has been using it for 2 years now and loves it. Inexpensive enough as far as lightweight packs go if you don't want to spend a bundle. The Jam isn't UL anymore, but still a good pack for the $ and light enough.
The Jam 35? Maybe I check that out. Like I said, their gear is all lightweight..GoLite small 20 degree down quilt, small size neoair, baselayers..I carry shelter and food, cookset and sawyer. I will deffinatly give that a look.
My son is an avg sized 9 year old. He's been using a woman's small jam 50. It's cinched on the bottom with golite's compactor system, therefore doesn't carry like a 50L. He carries a blue foam pad, REI sub-kilo bag, clothes, snacks and water. He's usually carrying 6-7 lbs including water. It's a great system and will definitely grow with him.
I purchased a woman's small Jam 35 for my 7 year old boy. It's the newer model and doesn't fit him the same. The straps are too far apart for his shoulders and doesn't carry well. I need to get the straps modified to improve the fit. My older boy's jam fits him better.
This person is selling a Golite Peak (Jam 35) for $30 on Gear Swap here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82815
I have no affiliation with the seller, just wanted to connect a WTB with a FS.
Just realized this is a size Large….prob not so kid-friendly then.
"The ULA Circuit comes in Kid sizes."……The Circuit can also be ordered with a 12"18"adjustable harness system works great for kids. Purchased two ULA Circuits for two older granddaughters (presently ages 13 yrs) three years ago after extensive communication with Chris McMaster as mine were the first of the Circuits build for children. The girls have carried TOTAL WEIGHTS of 16 – 20 with the pack without ANY issues coming from them on all of our adventures that average 9 days. This year's adventure for eleven days I adjusted the both packs prior to the trip o so slight and, the Hip Belts fit properly with room for expansion.
TORSO MEASUREMENT: Maddy 13.5", Kelsey 13.75"…ordered a SMALL; HIP BELT CIRCUMFERENCE MEASUREMENT (1 inch below iliac crest): Maddy 27", Kelsey 29"…ordered XS: S shaped Shoulder Straps.
Cannot go wrong with a ULA Children Circuit and especially if you communicate personally with Chris McMaster o tweak it to the children needs…….. chris@ula-equipment.com
There are some lighter options, but I've a spectrum of Golite Jams: 35l, 50l and 70l:
http://www.golite.com/Search.aspx?k=jam
$100, $110, $120 respectively.
that I select from for the kids or myself depending on the volume needed for a trip.
Certainly at 4 or 5 years old and maybe at 6 years old, if they haven't gotten very strong yet, Sea to Summit's 2.4 ounce sil-nylon day pack lets them take a little bulk from others and, more importantly, let's them feel like they are backpacking and helping carry things like everyone else.
$33.
Become a member to post in the forums.

