The thing was a bear to get on. The thought of a removable pocket seems like too much effort.
With that, it appears to be well enough made while adding little weight. So small, the delivery person had to search the truck for it. I can actually shrink my pack smaller with it on. Maybe a little funny looking, but still lighter than my daypack. With the pack filled, it feels pretty natural with no sway.
The one thing I would change is the attachments. I may try a different way of securing them.
The one thing I would consider changing on the 3400 porter is the collar length. While I like the 34's wider bag, I don't need all the extra space provided by the collar. It kind of gets in the way.
I have gotten to be a bit careless with the pack. Other than a couple of stains, it doesn't show. I was nervous at first. It looks so much like a white paper bag, I was afraid to use it. Maybe black would have been better in that sense. Less stains anyway. In retrospect, a black bottom on a white pack might have been cool.
Topic
Porter Pocket
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
I've used mine for the past 3 years (I initially tested a prototype for HMG). You are correct that it can take a bit to get on but the expectation was to make it so that it would not come off easily and would work as one with the pack. Did they ever put drain holes at the bottom of it?
Admittedly, short fat fingers don't help…I guess if I really wanted to, or really had the need, I could take it off. It is part of the pack.
There is a drain hole.
If it had a bottom pocket on the backside about 4" hi, a hydration bag could be suspended between the pocket and the pack. As it was, it went inside the pocket.
Become a member to post in the forums.

