Topic

Shutdown Sufferer! Charity Planning Help Needed! Need trip in week and half!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Edward Z BPL Member
PostedOct 8, 2013 at 7:16 am

Here's the musts –

Within a 10 hour drive from Southern California

Not snowed, taking in 4 little ones. Must not be a national park.

I was going to Zion NP, going to basecamp and do several overnights for a week. I am leaving October 20. I need a new destination? One thats easy to set up for me to lead my kids through.

I would love a high desert/with water sources/ trip through scenery. Can anyone advise me of an easy trip? Even one to hike into, basecamp and explore? I saw grand gulch etc… but I also don't want to necessarily go anywhere too risky with the little ones in canyons…. not that it really qualifies as such.

What can we do? Thanks, I'm panicking and a stones throw away from cancelling the whole thing. And bummed about it.

Ed

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedOct 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

Go to the Escalante. Backpacking into either Coyote Gulch, or the mouth of Fence Canyon (Egypt TH). Both are a ~3 mile flat and downhill hike in, will give you a great place to basecamp with running water nearby, and have tons of great places to dayhike. For Fence, dayhike up Fence itself, down the Escalante to Neon and the Golden Cathedral, and up into the lower reaches of Choprock. Only drawback is you'll probably want high clearance and maybe 4WD to access each TH.

Edward Z BPL Member
PostedOct 8, 2013 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the ideas Dave… You think a stock Ford Excursion 4×4 will do the trick?

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedOct 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yes, most any 4×4 should be fine. Neither road is bad, and both can usually be driven in a Suby by a competent driver. The first wash crossing on the Egypt side road can be a bit steep and loose, and the last few miles to the Coyote TH can have some sand. Always a good idea to have a shovel along just in case.

PostedOct 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm

The Escalante has lots of great choices– but do be prepared for potentially very chilly nights. I was out that way 2 weeks ago and the overnight lows dipped into the upper 20's, daytime highs in the 50's (it's usually warmer than that in late Sept.).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...