Topic

puffy?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

My layering system currently is a poly t-shirt baselayer, a 50/50 ls dress shirt for the sun, a Patagonia R2 fleece and a windshirt with a poncho/tarp. This does me pretty good down to about 40F to freezing standing around. I want to push it further and am thinking I should get some sort of hooded jacket.

I thought about going the synthetic route but then I would just be buying a new jacket every 4 years and I am cheap. I have a Montbell Alpine Jacket and Nunatak balaclava but it rarely gets down to 10F around here anymore and when it does get to there and below it is usually wind chill. These are usually overkill. Also it would not be usable in that 40F to below range when it rains. Should I go the Downtek route and get lightweight water resistant warmth or is there something else I should be looking at?

PostedOct 7, 2013 at 10:28 am

If your climate isn't particularly humid and rainy, there's nothing wrong with regular down for camp. I live in VA which is fairly humid and fairly rainy/wet, and i still use a down jacket for camp use and to boost my 40 degree quilt.

You're a pretty big guy from what it sounds like? I have a way over sized (on me), never been used down jacket with hood that is just sitting in my gear closet. It's size large, but seems like an X large to me. It's not a super or even mid quality down jacket. Probably 550 duck down, but still warmer than most synthetic and more importantly, much longer lasting.

If you want it, it's yours for free (you don't even have to pay shipping, just pass along a good deed to another sometime and we'll call it even). I got it on clearance at Marshall's for like 10 dollars, so wouldn't feel right charging anything for it. If it doesn't fit, you can send it off in the PIF box.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Yeah, I am 6'5", 235#s with a long torso so most things don't fit. I live in East Central IL which is the east end of the tall grass prairie so usually it is pretty dry here except for the shoulder seasons which could go either way. That and the winters have been pretty warm so it rains more than it snows. I will send you a PM about the jacket and if it doesn't fit me I will find someone here or a scout troop for it to go to. Maybe I should wait a few years to see if the Downtek stuff comes out cheaper. Too bad they don't make cheap lightweight synth jackets also.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

It would be nice if there a low cost lightweight alternative for below 40F. You can buy an nylon wind shirt for $10, a decent fleece for $20, a dress shirt for $15 and a poncho/tarp for $10 and a poly t for $8 all new.

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 11:04 am

You can get very good deals on puffys but your height negates most of the offerings, maybe you should look in to a cheap puffy
and team it up with Patagonia Micro puff Pants or the like.

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

There is … Its called waiting for the ll bean 30% off sale

Both ll bean and lands end have 100gm primaloft jackets … Everyone and their mom has a nano/micro poofay copy

Some even use real PL1 while patagucci has gone to sport/eco/synergy for their $$$$ jackets

And the llbean/lands end warranty is superior

Course youll be run out of BPL for wearing such pedestrian gear …

As for you poofay … Throw it in the dryer at moderatr temps and see if that helps

;)

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedOct 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

I have had Micro Puff pants but never used them because they take up so much space and were a bit of a pain. I have tried the dryer thing with tennis balls but it did not work. I can try just on mod heat. I will have to look out for the ll bean/land's end sales, when do they usually happen? It would just be nice if there were cheap pieces out there that you could just pic up off the rack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...