Is there a way to revitalize synthetic insulaiton that has been compressed for a long period of time? I was just sent an old jacket that I had left at my mother's and she has put it in a closet and squished it between all the other hanging stuff for a few years. It has Primaloft so I was just thinking about pulling the fabric apart for a bit inside the sewn sections to give it a bit more loft. Any thoughts?
Topic
Revitalizing compressed synthetic insulation
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
A customer service rep from a very reputable company once told me that putting a thrashed Synethic item in a dryer with some tennis balls would revaltise the loft, I think they got mixed up with down :-)
The nature of the polymers used is why it loses it's structure. It's just not as resilient as down. Unfortunately, i don't think there is anything you can do for synthetic insulation if the structure of the material itself is compromised.
If it's just a matter of letting loft back up, then simple shaking should suffice, but not too hard, gentle. Definitely don't want to try to pull it apart, that will only cause more damage most likely.
Yep, the original Primaloft is pretty sorry stuff for staying in place. My original Primaloft sb has been rolled up for years now as I was going to throw it away. I may just throw it in the trunk of my car just in case.
Duane
tumble it in the dryer on no heat for a few minutes. Heat will kill it even more than crushing.
It still has insulation properties, just not as much as new.
Low/moderate heat works fine …
Read primalofts site …
http://www.primaloft.com/en/performance/customer-support/consumer-support.html
How else are u supposed to reactivate the DWR on the shell of these jackets?
The key is to keep it moderate and remove promptly … Dont leave it in an hour … Check every 15 min or so
;)
I would wash it in an appropriate detergent and dry it at low heat. Being compressed between other clothes doesn't sound as bad as being left in a rock hard ball in a stuff sack.
Become a member to post in the forums.

