Topic

Backpacking with a Dog in Western ND

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Backpacking with a Dog in Western ND

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

I'm looking for some input from those dog owners who have backpacked with their dogs. I'm heading on a bikepacking trip on the Maah Daah Hey trail in Western North Dakota. It winds between the southern and northern sections of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer and he's been on a couple overnights with me, but only in the Midwest (where there are fewer large animals). I'm a little concerned about encountering bison around the national park. Can any one else share their experiences with their dogs and bison? Or other large wildlife? Any other tips or experiences with their dogs in the backcountry would be appreciated.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

My dog would only bark at bears. Depends on your dog and how it was trained quite a bit. On leash fulltime may be the answer.
    Duane

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I did the MDH this year and I wouldn't worry about running into any bison along the way. But there are plenty of grazing cattle along the way.

Did they get any of that snow that just went through?

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

They got a bit of the snow…or at least I remember looking at the current weather a few days ago and saw 'snow/mix'.

We're expecting rain the day before we get on trail, so we're hoping things will dry out by noonish.

Did you have any large wet areas or anything on the MDH? How treacherous are some of the trails? Did you do the northern section? Someone at Dakota said that they never cleared the northern 15 miles or so.

Anthony Analetto

@fubar2us

Locale: MidWest USA

Rut is over so even if you do run into any you should have no issues. I was out on the trail last month and had no issues with them walking around in my campsite.

Campsite Bisons

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools