Topic

Piece of cuben to boost warmth?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedOct 6, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I pushed my 30 deg down bag to 15 last night. I had some merino leggings, 7.4oz down jacket, windshirt, thick socks, and a good beanie. Neoair allseason plus a 1/8th pad.

I was also laying on a zpacks cloud kilt, I ended up bringing it inside my quilt and draped it over my body. It helped me warm up significantly, and never felt sweaty. Thoughts?

James holden BPL Member
PostedOct 6, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Its acting like a partial vbl … Similar to wearing a rain jacket to bed

If its cool enough for your metabolism you dont sweat much anyways

Its an old moutaineers trick to put your lower body in ur pack on cold bivies … It might save yr toes

;)

PostedOct 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

One of the things i plan on trying if we ever get some real cold around here (for me, that is 10 f and colder), is to try something like what you just talked about. A VBL loosely drapped on top of me in between myself and the insulation.

It's not an original idea, Doug (Idester) had mentioned it before, and he seems like a pretty smart and experienced guy. He said it allows some venting of moisture, but not directly in the quilt. (provided the VBL is larger than the quilt).

In your case, one of the things i would make sure, is not to wear the down jacket while doing this, but drape it on top of the cuben, or on top of your quilt, rather than wearing below it.

I would expect above 25, that even with some moisture venting, it might be a wee bit uncomfortable, but that is just a guess.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedOct 6, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I've found that non-breathable layers trap a surprising amount of warmth. I really like bread bags over my feet in cold weather.

PostedOct 6, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I wonder how many have shivered for a night having a paperback book next to them…
One of the hobos tricks is to stuff crumpled up paper between clothing..
Riders at the Tour De France still shove a newspaper under the jersey at the start of a steep mountain descent.
mind you you can also just open up one of those thin plastic shopping bags and put that in between your layers.(I use them for food/kitchen bits /rubbish and as foot warmers, like Justin..)
Not high tech nor expensive but it really does the same thing.

PostedOct 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I would like to add that if I did not have that extra piece of cuben I would have had a very cold restless night.

It did seem to trap the heat that was rising up from my body and reflect it back into me. Great multi use piece of gear imho.

PostedOct 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I understand the multi use aspect of using the Cuben, but what about a dedicated SOL emergency blanket used in the same manner for serious cold? It weighs 2.5 oz and is suppose to be tougher/more durable than the mylar kinds. Also only costs around 4 dollars. I would imagine that in serious cold it would really boost the temp of ones quilt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...