Topic

Golite z30 quilt- Experience? Love it? Hate it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite z30 quilt- Experience? Love it? Hate it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I grabbed a Golite z30 while it's still on discount.

Does anyone have experience with it? The size long dimensions show it has a 57" shoulder dimension which is perfect for my broader upper body. Can anyone verify that this is the actual width? I got a mixed answer from their customer service.

Fill amount looks good as well. On paper it is very comparable to a Katabatic Palisade in wide both in weight/fill and dimensions.

How does it stack up against some of the other 30F quilts out there right now? Obviously not even close to being the lightest option, but the materials are solid and the price is right.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I picked one up when they first came out to compare to my current quilts. It is very nice and at the current pricing is a steal. It was 1.5 oz over the stated weight for the med but was nicely filled and the Pertex GL is very highend – especially at the discount.

Size wise it is narrower than a wide Katabatic and just slightly wider than a regular width Katabatic. For reference I have both reg and wide currently. I really like the Z30 but in the end much prefered the Katabatic's cut and neck closure. If I didn't already own the two quilts I have I would have kept it. Based on the current price difference it is a no brainer – get the Z30 and enjoy – buy two and still save!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Thanks for the input John, that helps quite a bit.

There's very little out there on the web for the z30 and the Golite chat was a mixed bag. I asked them to measure the shoulder width from end to end and the customer rep said it was 57" laid out flat but they also told me they include a pad with the quilt. ??? I just let that one slide.

I had a Katabatic Sawatch in wide not too long ago and I found the 58" to be perfect, if not a bit generous. 56" is about as narrow as I feel comfortable with at the temperature it's rated for.

Looking forward to using it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Mine is 58" at the top. So far, I am really impressed with the quilt. I can't see you being disappointed – the quality and warmth is there.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Thanks David. An inch or two in variance seems substantial, but not a deal breaker at the price. I'm hoping I get a 58" version. ;-)

Rick, as long as that weight discrepancy isn't due to under filled baffles I'll be satisfied.

I'm much more concerned with comfort and durability and less about overall weight these days.

What's the deal with the arid zone head and footbox? I remember the first generation had the eVent shell and people were happy w/ that addition.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Scott Musack
    Spectator

@scottm

Locale: Oregon

I have one and have about 20 nights in it down to about 40F. In three words, I love it. It's my first quilt and I'm impressed.

The only issue I have from time to time is the draft. I move from side to side a fair bit and inevitably, I will wake up at some point with coldness around my hip/midriff area. I don't think this is a knock on this quilt, but quilts in general. I'm still trying to solve this issue as I'd like to invest in a cold weather quilt (or layer up and use this one down to 20F).

Mine weighs in at a 19oz without the straps.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The first generation (Golite ultra 20) had pertex endurance at foot and head ends.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Same fabric as Zpacks at less than half the price, actually, Zpacks followed Golite with the GL fabric. If you research Golite on BPL there is a lot of haters, see gear deals. The Z30 quilt in the long wide version is the absolute best value in the market today. I love mine, took it to Alaska and performed great! I dump gear monthly and this is one piece I'll keep. I have 3 sleeping bags in what I think is the perfect 3 bag quiver, and this is one of them.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I was in the market for a 30* quilt and after seeing this thread I picked up a Z30.
    I took a few pictures to compare it to a Katabatic Alsek. Like John mentioned, I much prefer Katabatic's cut and neck closure. I had a little bit of trouble keeping the sides of the Z30 under me, but I only had the straps very loosely connected and I toss and turn a lot. The elastic binding around the bottom opening on the Katabatic did a much better job keep the sides of the quilt in place for me. There's also a pretty big difference in the size of the footbox that you can see in the pictures. Overall, I think I prefer the smaller footbox so I can stick a leg out on the warmer nights, but this past weekend when I was pushing the temp rating of the quilt it would have been nice to have the bigger footbox.

Here's some weights:

Z30
    22.47oz
    +0.46 oz (webbing straps)
    +1.13 oz (stuff sack)

Alsek
    26.91oz
    +0.28 oz (2mm cords)
    +0.46 oz (webbing straps)

And the pictures:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools