Topic

Baffle repairs! Any recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Baffle repairs! Any recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm embarrassed to post this here, but I'll get over it.

I did the one thing you're not supposed to do with a sleeping bag. My bag sat in the garage this week in a storage tote I use for trips. Too tired to pull it out on the weekend I decided to throw it in the dryer today to 'fluff' on LOW. Yea, I should have laid it out or put it in on FLUFF with no heat. It's never been a problem in the past until now….

To the point, I now have a few crispy and melted baffles on the interior shell of my perfectly good WM Apache bag. No real down loss to speak of, but it's currently unusable until it's fixed. Looking at the melted baffles actually made my stomach turn a little.

So where should I be sending this thing? I don't care for a pretty repair, just one that will last the life of the bag. Anyone have experience in repairing baffles? Turn around time is sort of important as this is the only bag I currently own and I had a few short overnight trips in mind. I've heard good things about Rainy Pass gear repair but wasn't sure if they sew bags.

Sucks!

Kids, don't put your down gear in the dryer.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Your dryer should not have damaged the bag on low, I thought that a high heat damages the shell and the baffles, maybe I am wrong though.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I think the bag was pressed up against the heat vent. I've done it in the past, no more than 3-4 mins just to fully loft and ensure any moisture is gone. The interior shell on the WM bags is extremely gossamer and I should have known that it wouldn't be happy around heat.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Eugene
    Have you given Western Mountaineering a call? I know they do repairs and will do overfills on used bags. Might be a place to start.
    408-287-8944

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I thought they dealt with overfills and cleanings predominately. I'll give them a call. Thanks .

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If WM can't help you, DownWorks in Santa Cruz probably can.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Spoke with a feisty receptionist at WM who said I need to clean and ship the bag before they can say whether it's repairable or not. Understandable.

Rainy Pass can do an estimate without me shipping first; just need to send them some detailed photographs. Shop rate is $75hr and from my description of the damage she thinks the shop can do a permanent patch over the affected area in under an hr.

I'll try Down Works as well. Turnaround is probably going to be 2-3wks for WM and Rainy Pass.

Any other repair shops? I'd like to get my bag back sooner than 3 weeks if possible.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools