Topic

Weight of recently purchased Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/8″ pad

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Hi,

I'm very pleased with the GG Thinlight 1/8" pad I bought a few years ago. It weighs 2.4oz on my scale. It was advertised on their website to be between 2.4oz and 2.8oz.

I very recently ordered a second pad and found it weighed 3.6oz! Apparently, I'm not the one who got a pad that's quite a bit heavier than advertised. E.g., see part way down this thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81276

Has anyone else had this problem with this pad? I would have gotten a Lawson pad instead but he's been out of stock for quite a while…

Thanks,

rhz

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedOct 2, 2013 at 12:30 am

Just curious: how warm are these pads? I've never used anything this thin.

PostedOct 2, 2013 at 6:27 am

Not very. I bought one, loved the weight, and found it not very useful for actually staying warm. I ended up going back to my Thermarest Z-Lite.

I use a piece of the Gossamer Gear Pad to wrap my tripod when I strap it to my bike, so it's not a total waste.

YMMV

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 2, 2013 at 6:39 am

I purchased a couple from MLD. The pads aren't cut exactly the same which obviously will result in weight variations but I can't understand how it would be a full oz heavier.

Regarding its warmth/usefulness, I find that these pads are great to use in lieu of a ground sheet. Slightly heavier but they add some R value to your primary sleeping pad. My only beef against them is that they are bulkier than a polycryo ground sheet. If you're using a CC pad then it's a moot point but I'm using a Prolite.

jscott Blocked
PostedOct 2, 2013 at 9:03 am

I use mine strictly as insurance against sleeping pad punctures. It adds a skootch of warmth, I guess. It certainly doesn't add any comfort.

So I use a polycryo ground sheet, tent floor (or not), GG thinlight, pad. No punctures so far!

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedOct 2, 2013 at 10:18 am

Yeah, I do exactly the same thing as Jeffrey. These thin pads are just handy to have. Use them to protect your air mattress, or as a sit pad during the day.

PostedOct 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Yeah, I use these pads as a sit pad in camp (protected by a tyvek envelope) and later underneath my inflatable mat as protection against possible punctures. It's worked out really well. I'm just bummed that it weighs 50% more than the previous pad I bought.

PostedOct 2, 2013 at 5:14 pm

You've got to be kidding! A sandwich bag has a higher r value. might as well sit on your hands.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedOct 2, 2013 at 6:12 pm

@Zorg — You can fold it over several times, making it a very good sit pad, with a decent R value. Basically, it has plenty of flexibility, especially around camp. If the ground is pretty smooth and you don't need the warmth, then it can become a nice full reclining pad. If not, then fold it over as many times as you want.

PostedOct 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I use one for my legs in a hammock when using a 3/4 quilt. Works great! Mine weighs 2.9 oz.

PostedOct 3, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi Daniel,

How long ago did you buy yours? I'm wondering whether this is a recent change or whether I just wound up with a particularly heavy one.

Thanks,

rhz

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...