Topic

Hikers in trouble on Pacific Crest Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hikers in trouble on Pacific Crest Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/10/hikers-in-trouble-on-pacific-crest-trail/

"STEVENSON, Skamania County — Three hikers who have walked from Mexico on the Pacific Coast Trail are in trouble after hitting snow in Southwest Washington.

The Skamania County sheriff’s office says it has two search-and-rescue operations under way for the three trail hikers who needed help Monday, plus another search for a Portland hiker who has been missing since Saturday.

The sheriff’s office says searchers have cell phone contact with Matt Margiotta and Kyla Arnold and a crew is headed to their location.

The sheriff’s office says it is trying to locate Alejandre Wilson, who was reported overdue by her father on the trail to Canada.

And the search continues for the 31-year-old Portland man, Kristopher Zitzewitz, who became separated Saturday from his partner in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest."

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Weather got nasty in the mountains. I ran into a pct hiker in seattle Friday night. He was switching out gear and hoping to get back on Sunday. I hope he waited another day or two at least.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

The weather here in the North Cascades is still pretty rough. Lots of snow at Stevens Pass, which is at a pretty low elevation. It seems late in the season to be at Snoqualmie Pass or further South and still trying to make it to Canada. I am hoping to just get another 3 day hike in before mid-October. Fall came very quick this year. I wish them luck…..

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I was just surfing the net and couldn't find any recent articles if they found the two miising hikers. It's sad she continued on even though she knew it was not safe. The gentleman they have simply not heard from him.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

The most recent article I saw this morning reported that the searchers felt the missing PCTer would turn up. I don't remember anything in the article to show why they believed this. I'm guessing her skill set and carried gear. The man who was looking for caves to explore has not been found. His disappearance seems to be grouped with the PCT hikers, missing or rescued, because of timing and general location but my understanding is that he was merely day hiking/exploring the area and not prepared to spend the night out, especially with the snow and cold we got in the PNW last week.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Seattle public radio, KUOW, reported two missing PCT hikers were rescued by helicopter Tuesday evening. They report 1 still missing. They also report a group of 15 PCT hikers are holed up near Stevens Pass at a trail angle's house still hoping to make it to Canada…..

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Alejandra Wilson was found alive.

Here is her trail journal with her story, starting with the entry just before she went into the snow:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=435078

Elizabeth

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

That's great news.

Thanks for posting her trail journal. Good reading (since it turned out well for her).

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Ditto that, on the journal. Thanks for that link.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Here's what Andrea Dinsmore said on the PCT-L. Words from a long time Trail Angel who has watched for years what can happen to late-season PCT hikers:

I believe educating the PCT hikers on what they are really going to get
    into up here, not what they hear from friends that came through on a low
    snow year. Rose colored glasses don't work in the wilderness. The weather
    may change from 60 to 25 and a 3' dump of snow within a few days up here.
    After looking at 11 yrs of dealing with hikers between Stevens Pass and
    Stehekin it is good hiking weather, warm temps, fresh berries to eat up the
    trail and the rivers are low if you hit the [Canada] border by the 15th of Sept.
    That's about August 15th or so at Cascade Locks. Some years like this one
    and 4 other years I can remember the trail was all but impassible by Sept
    25th at Snoqualmie.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i cant comment on the actual PCT

but up here near vancouver and southern BC … weve had an EXTREMELY wet season … basically most of september was one giant rainstorm …

its also been colder than average IMO especially with the humidity

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Here's what Andrea Dinsmore said on the PCT-L. Words from a long time Trail Angel who has watched for years what can happen to late-season PCT hikers:

I believe educating the PCT hikers on what they are really going to get
    into up here, not what they hear from friends that came through on a low
    snow year. Rose colored glasses don't work in the wilderness. The weather
    may change from 60 to 25 and a 3' dump of snow within a few days up here.
    After looking at 11 yrs of dealing with hikers between Stevens Pass and
    Stehekin it is good hiking weather, warm temps, fresh berries to eat up the
    trail and the rivers are low if you hit the [Canada] border by the 15th of Sept.
    That's about August 15th or so at Cascade Locks. Some years like this one
    and 4 other years I can remember the trail was all but impassible by Sept
    25th at Snoqualmie.

Here's the problem. As much as I like Andrea, she as much as told us that if we went north out of Stevens that we would die. This was mid August in '11. To say this was highly alarmist is an understatement. Was there some snow, sure. But having walked hundreds of miles in snow it was no big deal. Her information was also flat out wrong. She said that nobody had been able to make it through yet we had talked with Scott Williamson a week earlier who along with the four NoBo hikers ahead of us had successful made it through. Even when with the fact that Scott made it through, she got a bit upset at us for "not listening to her." Hmm, who to listen to….. A 13 time thru hiker or someone who has never hiked the whole section.

Now having said that, I think most of the issue this year with judgement was caused by folks having a cake walk through the Sierra so they had no clue what hiking in snow means. This same thing happened in '12 where folks flew through the Sierra and hit the PNW early season. They declared that the snow was so bad but it is only due to their lack experience earlier in the hike that caused them to think conditions were so bad. In reality I compared pictures vs. later in the season in '11 and it wasn't that bad. This can all be summed up as experience. And experience would say that walking in feet of fresh snow is exhausting and that waiting a few days would make it easier. But even more important, experience is knowing when to not proceed.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Andrea Dinsmore's license plate says PCT MOM on it. Like a typical mom she feels responsible for her "kids," and like most moms she's going to be pretty conservative with her advice. That will often make her "wrong" if judged by "was the conservative choice really necessary this time?" but often right when it comes to "would there have been less SARs this year if everyone had listened?" I think it gives her a different perspective to lay awake at night wondering if somebody she cares about is in trouble. And this year when she called SAR she has been right at least once. I'm going to cut her a huge amount of slack because of all she's done for hikers.

I think her experience with hundreds and hundreds of hikers coming through gives her a better perspective on hike timing than most of us. In my opinion her advice that I quoted is very sound and agrees in spirit with Yogi's advice (also based on hundreds of thru-hike attempts) to be done with the trail by October 1. If more people paid attention to the calendar I think there would be more safe, successful, enjoyable thru-hikes. For anyone who doesn't know, the PCT in Washington tends to get much wetter, rain or snow, as the season progresses. There are certainly going to be people this year who will go home disappointed because they pushed the season too late. I think it's safe to say that it happens every year.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

" They declared that the snow was so bad but it is only due to their lack of experience earlier in the hike that caused them to think conditions were so bad."

This was certainly the reason given by the lady whose blog was referenced above.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Colter,
    Great analogy about Andrea being the "worried PCT mom". I emailed a link to the journal linked above to a very experienced thru hiker. His response was "Is that a journal of another hiker getting caught in the snow because they dawdled through the first 2400 miles of the PCT?" It pretty much says it all. I ran into a guy that made it to Harts Pass and was snowed out. I can't imagine being so close to the end yet so far. Maybe next years hikers will target a slightly earlier finish.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools