If you've noted the change in my profile photo. . . My 13-year-old and I were in a dinner-theater Star Trek spoof as a fundraiser for the local science center. It was my theatrical debut and was both trans-species and trans-gendered (a Klingon commander later revealed to be a British authoress). Drake played "Spork", the Vulcan science officer. I was also props master and tried my hand at 23rd century weapons.
The phasers are cut from solid blocks of wood with a jigsaw, table saw, router and belt sander. Hot glue provides some of the raised lines, and the beam focuser is the sink-top attachment for a spray hose. I won't detail the nadion generator, force chamber geometry, or the power source in a public forum like this, but you can find those details in any good reference on photon masers.
The Klingon disrupters were made from wood with the handle being the grip of a ski pole and the straight and curved aluminum wave-guide tubes coming from crutches (a cheap source of Al tubing found at any thrift store). Although they are less elegant weapons than phasers, I shouldn't release 23rd-century technology in 2013. That can corrupt the time line and create a lot of unintended consequences.

