Just finishing a family camping tipi I got an idea of a central pole:
Bought cheap telescopic fishing rod and cut two bottom joints this way:

3 inch part goes to trash. 1 inch part is glued on smaller section tube to make this:
poles that join like tent poles and can also be packed inside each other. Sections are quite long but light and stiff. Of course if you carry trekking poles then better to use those.
Topic
Tipi pole cheap, easy & light
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Why do you need to cut off (and throw away) the three inch section? Couldn't you just cut off the 1 inch section glue it on and be good to go?
Nice idea…..did you use silnylon fabric for the covering?
^^
Tubes are just enough conical that the sections didn't fit inside each other without throwing the middle piece away. That's what stops them from coming apart in fishing rod mode I guess. They are however so tight fit there's no play in the joint now.
Maybe need to wrap a bit glassfiber tape on to reinforce the larger tube end.
^
Used 2,4 oz per sq. yard hydrophilic WPB fabric. I wanted to try breathable fabric in cool weather and this is going to be used in winter too. Weight (about 6 pounds) was not so much of a concern. Size is 8 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet high with a fully sealed bottom. I try to remember pics when the thing is ready. Already slept one night but it's missing lower ventilations and high ventilation rain cover plus top spreader bars.
I do have a 1,5 pound floorless silnylon tipi for two but some think that's too much nature exposure :)
(hey, Google is fantastic: 80 grams per square meter in oz per square yard)
Become a member to post in the forums.

