Topic

Lightest Expedition/Very Cold Weather jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest Expedition/Very Cold Weather jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I'm looking for a down jacket with at least 300g/10.6oz of high quality down (800+). Currently the Mountain Equipment Gasherbrum seems to be unbeatable with 380g of 750EU/800US down in a 785g jacket(!), but to be honest that's probably more jacket than I need. Anyone know of a jacket with around 300g of down but less than 700g?

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

the spec's come pretty close to what you are looking for:

http://featheredfriends.com/volant-down-jacket.html

shell material is light, but not so light that you have to be overly protective. properly layered, i'd wear mine pretty-much anywhere (with a few exceptions) in the lower 48. the fit's a bit snug so be prepared to size-up to layer under. they show up on ebay with some regularity. you gave a price in eu's, so i'm not too sure where you are located. feathered friends is a relativly small pnw operation and i'm not sure what availibilty is outside the usa.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Thanks, Richard. My main concern with the Volant is that is it quite a short cut and I have a long torso. Ideally I'd like something that covers my butt. The Frontpoint is super nice but again too warm and heavy for my needs I think. I do like the Pertex Shield waterproof shells on the FF stuff though.

I'm located in Australia but willing to buy anything from anywhere that will let me.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

my volant comes down below my waist (xl and i'm 6'2"), but you won't get full butt-coverage.

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

I'm currently having Ben at Goosefeet Gear make me up a custom down parka. You may want to drop him a line and see what he can do for you.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

So you want over 300 but less than 400 grams of fill and weigh less than 27.5 ounces.

Why would something with only 33% more of the minimum of what you want be too much?
    Plus at that weight you are asking for a very very specific item.

There is the Western Mountaineering Snowjack parka with 12.5 ounce fill but it weighs 28.5 ounces (although it is windstopper).

Mountain Hardwear Nilas may fit the bill, but not sure what the fill is.

Check this link out as well. There are a few jackets (especially Feathered Friends) that fits your bill.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Winter-Jacket-Reviews

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Feathered Friends Icefall Parka was my expedition choice.

–B.G.–

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

they need to bring back the MEC reflex

;)

Andrew Manies
    Spectator

@amanies

Locale: SF Bay Area

It may be slightly below your threshold for down fill (and slightly over for weight), but the Rab Neutrino Plus is a pretty fantastic winter/light expedition parka with 275g of down and about 750g total weight. Compared to the Feathered Friends models with decent groin/butt coverage (Frontpoint, Icefall, Rock & Ice), it's lighter and more compressible. The other Feathered Friends models are all pretty short, and barely reach the hip.

The SnoJack is a rather serious expedition parka and is amazingly lofty, but it's comparable to the Icefall in weight. My size large SnoJack weighs about 33 oz.

Otherwise, you could try to snag a Patagonia Encapsil belay parka on Ebay! (just kidding, of course)

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I've been keeping an eye out for a Norrona Lyngen Down750 jacket (539g total, 250g fill). Not the fill you're looking for, but still warm and relatively light. The Rab also looks very good as well.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"So you want over 300 but less than 400 grams of fill and weigh less than 27.5 ounces.

Why would something with only 33% more of the minimum of what you want be too much?
    Plus at that weight you are asking for a very very specific item."

Well firstly 100 extra grams of down is a helluva lot in a jacket. I am being very specific simply because I have an ideal in my mind that I haven't discovered yet and I was wondering if anyone here was aware of anything that fits the bill. If I have to buy a warmer/heavier jacket I will of course.

But to my mind there appears to be a hole in the market between sub-300g fill jackets and 350g+ fill jackets that are also long and light. The Neutrino Plus was at the top of my list but the warmth/weight ratio seemed a bit low compared to what else is out there. Then I found the Mountain Equipment Gasherbrum which appears to have almost 40% more down at the same total weight (lighter fabric yes but that shouldn't be a huge issue). Certainly being a litle too warm is not a huge issue, but I'm just surprised that nobody makes a sub-700g parka with 300g of fill. I feel that would be a pretty sweet jacket for quite a lot of places.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

That's an interesting comment. I will be using it down to around -20 to -25 C but mainly as a summit jacket. Down suits are designed for the most extreme conditions, such as 8000m peaks in winter. Most people even on Everest etc. use a down jacket and pants rather than a full suit. There are lots of places where a not-quite-expedition weight down jacket would be ideal, i.e. 6000-7000m peaks or arctic treks. I plan to use it initially on 6000m peaks in Nepal.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nunatak makes high quality down quilts,bags and garments any way you want but they are not cheap.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The Feathered Friends Volant Parka is the closest thing that meets your needs and is half the price of many others mentioned here.
    Not a bad weight either 28 ounces.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi Rick,

Yes I almost couldn't believe the warmth to weight ratio of the Gasherbrum (almost 50/50). ME also make a jacket called the K7 with 330g of fill and their "Drilite" outer fabric which is similar to Epic or Pertex Endurance I believe (1500mm HH). That one might actually be preferable for my needs although I must say I am somewhat dubious about the need for highly water resistant outers at -20C. Maybe someone else has experience here?

Webtogs have a nice video of the Gasherbrum which shows its length and features. Doesn't seem quite as long as the Neutrino Plus but long enough to cover the bum.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I was recently looking for the same and came across the Mountain Equipment jackets you mentioned. Those seem to completely blow away the competition in that range. I'd like to get one, but yeah, it might be a little much for most winter days in colorado.

I found something that fits your criteria on the clymb the other day called the bergans sastrugi jacket. Its 335 grams of down, 685 grams total, and its box wall. Try the link, but I don't think its available on the site. I ordered a Medium and a Large to try on. You're welcome to whichever I decide not to keep for the price I paid + shipping. Let me know and I'll drop you a PM when I figure it out. They should arrive tomorrow or the next day.

https://www.theclymb.com/join-the-clymb/Mens-Winter-Outerwear/Bergans-of-Norway-Mens-Sastrugi-Down-Jacket-Navy-Lime-Zest/137588

A box wall puffy with 10oz of down, 20oz total, a two way zip and a big helmet hood would be just about perfect for my uses. The bergans is close, at least on paper.

Robin T

@robban

Gasherbrum is a great jacket. The only con is the hood, it isnt deep enough for my liking. Other than that its super warm and verry light. Just keep the outer fabric away from sharp objecs and sparks and yoo will be fine.

Robin T

@robban

Another option is Haglöfs Magi 2 down hoodie, 700g total weight and 320g 800fp eu down. I don have any personal experiance with that modell, but all Haglöfs gear i have owned has been top quallity.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I knew there must be more options out there that I hadn't seen yet. Haglofs I know of but haven't seen their down range, and Bergans is new to me. They both seem awesome. The Magi II has synthetic insulation under the down at various places and elasticated cuffs and hood (which I generally like) and the Bergans has a Pertex Endurance shell and is reversible (!). Serge I'd be very interested to hear your impressions.

Edit: Ok I just looked up some prices for the Bergans Sastrugi. Holy crap! Might be slightly out of my price range unless you got an amazing bargain, Serge.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The Clymb still has the Sastrugi in all sizes and several colors for $225 + shipping.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Haglofs down gear is very good.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

That's incredibly cheap. Although I notice now on the Clymb site it says 1000 grams rather than 685. I wonder if that's accurate.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools