Topic

Trip suggestions 2 nights yosemite/Emmigrant/etc

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hey there,
I learned I might have a weekend to myself for a quick 2 night trip.
I'm in San Jose, so something within a 4-5 hour drive would be nice.

Any good 20 to 30 mile loops, or even an out and back around Yosemite, Emmigrant, or other you would suggest?

I usually love high country, but with only 2 nights to spend, and winter creeping up, I'm not sure what I can pull off.
-Chris

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 11:46 am

We're just back from a quick trip to Yosemite—and had not trouble getting a permit on Saturday morning for a popular trailhead… but still.

Emigrant has great loops from Crabtree Cabin to Yellowhammer and back…or Wire Lakes via Whitesides meadow, then back through Gem Lake.

Beautiful stuff.

We have a bunch of these trip reports on our website: backpackthesierra.com

chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 12:52 am

Considering a trip out of Crabtree trailhead up to chewing gum lake (1st night), then loop around to Gem lake (2nd night), then back to the trailhead.

Anyone done this loop before?
It will be late oct, so I'm guessing there's a chance of snow. Any parts seem like ice axe/crampons are necessary?
Also not sure how the government shutdown will a affect this..
Any advice, trip reports, etc woud be totally appreciated, thanks!
-Chris

Sharon J. BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 1:10 am

“Considering a trip out of Crabtree trailhead up to chewing gum lake (1st night), then loop around to Gem lake (2nd night), then back to the trailhead.

Anyone done this loop before? “

I actually did exactly that route in mid-August. report

I can’t give any advice on ice equipment or the shutdown. On previous visits in October and November, I encountered knee deep (in isolated spots) slushy snow. The road up to Crabtree was a little unpleasant. Bring snow chains.

Edited to add: This seems to be a good source for weather information:

weather.gov

chris smead BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 2:06 am

Thanks Sharon! Ill check out that link.
Im also considering a trip from the valley floor to little yosemite valley (night 1)
summit clouds rest day 2 then find another campsite on the way back down…

Assuming yosemite reopens by late oct…am I asking for trouble as far as crowds?
-Chris

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

We've done a couple of different version of loops from Crabtree trailhead…you can find TRs on all of them on our website: backpackthesierra.com

It's a lovely area, and should be beautiful right now—if a bit dry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...