Topic

MLD DuoMid and Locus Gear DPTE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD DuoMid and Locus Gear DPTE

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Anyone actually used the above combo before? I just picked up a cuben DuoMid and I am looking at various options. Thanks!

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in this.

I'm exploring options for using an inverted v setup with my duo mid.

Thanks!

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I haven't got mine out onto the trail yet but I have pitched in my backyard as practice. It seems to work really well. It gives you a lot of extra room. I replaced the very thick cord that came with the DPTE with some really thin spectra line since it is really only meant to keep the two ends from splaying out to the side when Under tension.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

They should work fine together, so long as your poles are long enough, and don't have strange tips.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was surprised there was so little information out there. I ended up getting a pair of GG LT4's with the pole extensions on the Gear Swap Forum. There was more solid feed back on that combination working with the Duomid. I tested it out a month ago on an overnighter and it worked great. I hope more people try the Duomid with the DPTE in the future.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Thanks everyone…I'm going to go ahead and order the DPTE. I use Pacer Poles, so we'll see how they work with them.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Pace r poles might be a bit of a different story given the angle of the grips. The DPTE have little "cups" that the pole handles fit in and I'm bit sure if pacer poles would work. a quick email to the vendor might answer that question though

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"The DPTE have little "cups" that the pole handles fit in and I'm bit sure if pacer poles would work."

I don't have them, but from looking at them on the site, I'd think those cups aren't necessary. Just loop some cord around each pole handle and tie the appropriate length apart.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I got a Locus Gear DPTE for our Duomid with inner.  I think the cups are necessary to keep the poles from sliding.

YouTube video

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

FWIW, I’ve been using the DPTE on my Khufu for two years and have never employed the cups/string to keep the poles together. Friction has been sufficient in my situations.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks, Dan.  That’s good to hear.  It would make it simpler.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If your poles are long enough, you can do an inverted V with just the two poles if the mid is pitched very tightly. Otherwise they tend to slip in the night.

My question would be whether the DPTE allows a more lazy pitch.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I don’t think my son’s poles are long enough to go outside the inner without a pole jack for each one.  If you didn’t use an inner and pulled the poles inward, some poles might be long enough.

I had them both at the stop limit in that video.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools