Topic

Solo Tent Help – Small Pack Size, Few Stakes

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedSep 30, 2013 at 10:06 am

I am looking for a solo tent to replace my 20 year old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. I love the Clip Flashlight but it’s heavy and it’s time for an update. With stakes, it is 4.5 lbs. and, as importantly, it packs up to about 5.5 x 16 inches (tent and fly) plus the two poles and stakes. I’ve been lurking on the boards for a while and researching, but I still need some help as two of my key criteria (pack size and number of stakes) aren’t always obvious from the web sites.

Priorities are as follows:

1. Smallest possible packed size. In addition to backpacking, I will use it for motorcycle touring on a bike that doesn’t have any real luggage capacity. I need it to pack up small. I don’t know how accurate the published pack sizes are.

2. Limited number of stakes for a tight pitch. It doesn’t have to be freestanding, but I would like to be able to pitch it reasonably well with no more than 3-6 stakes and fewer is better.

3. Weight of no more than 2.0-2.5 lbs with stakes and dedicated pole(s). A couple ounces isn’t critical to me but I’d like it to be reasonably light. I won’t always have hiking poles so the size, weight and performance of the dedicated pole(s) is important.

4. Other considerations: A floor that is dry in the rain, not just a tarp. 3 season is fine, but it should be able to handle some wind and the occasional thunderstorm. Size isn’t a big issue. Room for me (5’10”) and a bit of room for gear either inside or in a vestibule. Cost is a consideration—under $300 is ideal. Under $400 is mandatory. Bonus points for tents I might be able to buy used.

I’ve been looking at the Tarptent Contrail/Notch, Lightheart Solo, SMD Lunar Solo, etc. But after trying to figure out how much the poles add to the size/weight and looking at pictures trying to figure out how many stakes it really needs, I’m about as confused as when I started. What are my best options?

Thanks…Evan

diego dean BPL Member
PostedSep 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Take a look at the CSUL1. Packed size was a big deal for me too and the poles on the UL1 collapse down as small as anything Ive seen. The only requirement it may not fill for you is the stakes. You could get it done with 6 but 8 is better. The extra stakes weigh almost nothing and really help with the massive t storms we get here.

Also i remember the kilo 1p being a very small packed size as well.

PostedSep 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

The TarpTent Moment uses one pole and two stakes. Not sure how small it packs up to, but it fits the bill for few stakes and poles.

Dean F. BPL Member
PostedSep 30, 2013 at 11:37 am

+1. The Moment is getting a lot of recommendations from me recently for some reason…

It erects very quickly (I don't think I ever went over 90 seconds, and was frequently under 60) and only uses two stakes in minimum setup. For that matter, with only two required tie-out points you don't really need stakes- just tie between two trees. They don't have to be perfectly placed like with a regular tent with 4 to 6 tie-outs. Two trees, two bushes, two rocks, two cars, etc. The corner of a fenceline. It all works.

With the optional longitudinal pole it is free-standing (sort of). With the extra 2 to 4 guylines it's respectably stable- people have handled rather impressive winds and snow loads in them. But for 95% of conditions you just need the two stakes (or trees, etc.).

The current model is a true double-wall, with bathtub floor, and a vestibule of useable size for $270 and 35 ounces. It is definitely a UL tent, though, with the implied limitations- a 20 year lifespan with frequent use is not likely.

If you're a fan of SD, though, they are totally re-booting their lineup for next year. Their new VP for design and somethingorother just posted here about it. Click the "Sierra Designs" button at the top of the page at http://www.zenbivy.com, that's his blog.

EDIT— Or see here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82167

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 4:24 am

I don't know why you would want to limit the number of stakes. They don't have to weigh much or take up much space, but can be really important in bad weather.

you could maybe pack 3 or 4 Easton or MSR ground hog style stakes and supplement with 4 or more UL stakes, carbon or titanium shepherd hooks.

I understand that you can supplement with found objects if needed, but stakes don't take up space and weight is minimal.

It sure saves time not having to go looking for objects to pitch for a storm.

I know you don't want to consider a tarp, but be aware that a tarp with a bugnet or bug bivy is basically a double wall tent.

Or maybe you just don't want to deal with learning tarp skills?

All in-one-tents, tarptents included, have limited flexibility.

I went from tarp camping to many all-in-one shelters, but have gone back to tarps for solo trips and don't see me going back.

I got tired of being limited to certain pitching options or not being able to pitch my shelter because the ground wasn't perfect.

A tarp can be what you want it to be with a little practice and experience.

I know a few bicycle trekkers who use tarps and use their bicycles as their tent pole alone or combined with a tree, bush, fence, … and so no poles needed.
A quick flying diamond or a-frame variation pitch will work this way.

The same could be true with a motorcycle.

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. The TT Moment looks like an interesting possibility but the one pole it has looks huge. Does it set up/pitch tight well with only the one pole? How big is that pole when it's folded and in your pack?

Steven – The limitation I've placed on stakes in my list is because I don't want a setup that requires a lot of stakes to be reasonably well pitched, not because I'm not willing to carry them. I just got back from a trip to Utah and had a couple campsites that were essentially on rock–no trees, no bushes, no anchor points. I don't enjoy spending 30 minutes at the end of a long day carrying rocks big enough to anchor my tent, struggling to get stakes into rocky ground, searching for a campsite that's close enough to a tree or bush, etc. Your mileage and terrain may vary. I'm open to a tarp and inner net as long as I'm convinced that it can be pitched well with three or four stakes.

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 10:08 am

@Evan,

Regarding limiting the amount of stakes.

I have seen too many freestanding tents fly away and/or shredded that were either not staked down or only staked with four stakes.

You are right about how unnecessary they are in most cases, but I also had to pitch on rock slab in Southern Utah.
But I had to deal with strong winds that required multiple stake points and more line than I normally use. Spent a lot of time lugging rocks as well.

I was able limit the amount of rocks by wedging some of my stakes in cracks.

Having the extra stakes made life easier then and in other similar situations.

Dean F. BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

The Moment is designed to pitch with only the one pole- the longitudinal pole was sort of an afterthought- so I'd say that yes it pitches well with only one pole. It's such a large area of silnylon from an end to the pole that there inevitable is some droop, but nothing that the design doesn't account for. Henry knows his biznis.

Unfortunately I sold my Moment, so I can't go measure the pole section length for you.

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm

The TT Moment looks like an interesting possibility but the one pole it has looks huge. Does it set up/pitch tight well with only the one pole? How big is that pole when it's folded and in your pack?

Yes you can have the Moment nice and taut with the standard hoop pole only.
The Pitch Lock ends give the canopy the right tension.
Here is a photo from the TT Gallery :
Moment ib Norway

The pole sections are now 18" long .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...