Topic

Quilt seam design any pics?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
PostedSep 30, 2013 at 6:14 am

So, how do the pros do it? Are there any videos or pics out there that show exactly how to do neat streamlined seams on quilts. I don't want to have flat seams on my quilt as i think it doesn't look nice and i don't want to have to do rolled seams either if possible. Can anybody show me a better way?! Thanks

Matt :)

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Hi Tim, if you see this, could you tell me how you sew your seams on your quilts?
Many thanks
matt

PostedOct 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Do you mean hems(the edges of a quilt)?

I believe Tim does rolled hems, or he used to. I do tucked hems, but they're much more time consuming and involve a lot of aggravating ironing with fabrics that don't like to cooperate. Nothing wrong with a rolled hem, it's the easiest option, I just don't favor the look of it, and usually it consumes more fabric (weight) than the tuck option.

A tuck hem (the way I do it) involves top stitching around the perimeter of the quilt 1" from the edge of the fabric first, then ironing open the two layers of that 1" hang, then folding each layer back into the stitch line, leaving you with a half inch on each side with the rough edge folded into the middle. You then have to iron this as well as you can, which will vary in success based on the bias of the fabric, pin them together, and then stitch 1/16 or as close to the edge as you can. Then seals the raw edge into the hem. I usually quickly run past the raw edge with a lighter to seal the fray, although some people use a hot knife to cut the fabric with, which precludes this.

If you actually mean seams, for instance joining two panels of fabric to make a larger panel, then I recommend doing flat-felled seams, as they're strong and down-proof.

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hi javan
Sorry, yes I meant hems. I don't like to look of rolled really and looking at some of my sleeping bags I wondering they do I. I assumed the two edges were folded in and top stitched but wondered if that was a strong enough method. I am concerned about how durable it is. I'm in the planning stages of my down quilt and want to make it as perfect as possible!
Matt :-)

PostedOct 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Durability and appearance is the reasoning behind the way I do it also. With the method I outlined, you've got two stitch runs, so either can fail without a consequence, giving plenty of time for repair, and it looks very professional IMHO.

Various commercial bags I've seen done various ways. Usually they're hid with zippers or binding of some type though.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 12:34 am

I don't suppose you have a photo of one of your hems do you? I'm trying to visualise both stitches and struggling to understand!! Sorry for being thick!

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 1:38 pm

no rolled hems here, ugly, sorry Jack, or other Jack.

We fold in each layer and sew them together 3/32" from the edge (called edge stitch maybe, i don't know the terms:)We sew a 1/2" guide stitch around the edge first to tack the tabs on and makes it simple to fold the edge in 1/2" evenly every time.

Javan's way is stronger but in my opinion over built. Side seams on quilts aren't under much stress. Where tabs and buckles are needs triple stitching but the rest is fine with one line of stitching. I've sold over 3000 quilts and never had a side seam pop. I had a few my sewers screwed up but no stitching failures, they just got too close to the edge and didn't capture both layers.

Simple to build and looks good too

-Tim

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Hi Tim, could you give me a visual somehow? I'm trying to understand how the fabric is placed for stitching. Do you attach the baffles to shell and liner, then stitch 3 edges leaving one long side open for stuffing then fold that whole edge in and stitch that? And are you saying just the one set of stitch is sufficient round the whole quilt?
Thanks
Matt :)

PostedOct 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Sorry Tim, didn't mean to put that on ya bud. I dunno why I thought you guys did a rolled hem.

I agree with everything you said.

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I think I roll hemmed the first down quilt I ever made, Sorry Tallbloke!

-Tim

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 3:59 am

So would you guys happen to have a diagram or video showing how you assemble the hems
I must be thick because I can't visualise what you're explaining!!!

Thanks
Matt

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hi Jamie, thanks for the input, I've had a good read of your your pages, I really don't want to do rolled hem! ! :)

William S BPL Member
PostedNov 1, 2013 at 11:33 am

Look at page 2 of the thread Jamie posted and at the bottom you will see a diagram supplied by Tim describing how he does his seams. It also shows the tuck method mentioned by Javan, I believe.

I'm researching how to do this, too. I have my materials, and just trying to get up enough nerve to get started. :-)

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Ah thanks for that! Will teach me to read the whole thread!
Looking at Jamie's hem more closely the more I think it makes sense and def stronger and more downproof having two separate stitches. Best of luck with your project mate! :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...