Nm
Topic
New Golite Bitterroot with Downtek
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Just saw that. Curious they would list the total weight in oz (13) but the down fill in grams (150). Other than the use of Downtek, I wonder whether they made any design changes since last season.
That's at least a dozen main stream and cottage companies offering Dwr down in different variants, it does seem to be gaining a lot of traction, I wonder have the likes of Westeen Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and PHD tested it out.
anyone try one of these out who can let us know any other differences? hoping they tightened the hood a bit.
I was eying this jacket last year, but never ended up getting it. I think I might get it next week so I have it for this winter. If I do I'll update here as to what I think.
Downtek seems to become a pretty awesome innovation for down products. I would never have thought that one could actually invent what it claims to do. As a down person, it seems to be the silver bullet in many ways.
However, as a Bitterroot owner, I love it's warmth to weight, but would never trust it as an outer layer if the weather turned fowl.
So even with Downtek, I'd think I'd still have that rain barrier with me "just in case." It's great that it wouldn't loose loft, but there's nothing about the system that would inherently keep water infiltration from occurring. "Warm & wet" is certainly better than "cold & wet", but its still wet. I do believe it will definately help in cold/humid situations where the relative humidity is near the saturation point. I'd suspect that Downtek in a high RH environment would be less likely to loose its loft.
I just don't think I could change 30 years of habit when it comes to protecting down… At least overnight… :)
Matt
Become a member to post in the forums.

