Topic

Anyone have any experience with Mountain Hardware Quasar Pants

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Stephen M BPL Member
PostedSep 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hi folks,

Anyone using the Mountain Hardware Quasar pants and can tell me how to got on with them in the field.

Cheers,

Stephen

PostedSep 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Possibly useful info: The MH Dry-Q bivy has abysmal ratings when I was researching bivy's. Maybe that particular proprietary fabric has a long way to go.

In my experience, MH does a good job of turning over product lines based on complaints. The rate they evolve is a lot faster than most companies. So, maybe there's been big differences between older lines and newer ones. Good luck!

DirtyMcSquared BPL Member
PostedSep 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I do not have experience with the quasar pants. I just wanted to point out the bivy mentioned above is made with Dry.Q Core, a very different (cheaper and less breathable) material than the Dry.Q Elite used in the quasar pants.

PostedSep 27, 2013 at 5:12 am

I also have no actual experience with these pants, but I'll chime in a few thoughts anyways.

As I'm sure you know, these are heavy pants (13oz) so I assume you've got some winter use planned and thus value the weight put into features like the full side zips, heavier waistband design and integrated gaiters. I think these hold promise as winter use pants for someone who is careful with their gear. If you're a hack on skis, you're going to get cuts pretty quickly outside of the relatively small reinforced areas on the inner ankle. I have the Quasar jacket, and the fabric is a good 3-layer material, but it wouldn't hold up well to ski edges (not much does).

The Dry Q Elite membrane is eVent but with MH's own face nylon, so it's a good membrane. I usually don't value premium membranes in rain pants since my lower body perspires less, but again if you plan on wearing them all day for winter use then the premium membrane is a good idea.

I guess all I'm really saying is that they're really a winter pant, and if you intend to use them for that then they should be pretty good, but of course I can't comment on real world considerations like fit. The apparently #3 zips might be a bit on the light/wimpy side, but again if you're careful with your gear then these could be a good pant. I see them working well for snowshoeing, nordic skiing and gentle AT use. Here's a few reviews:
http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-quasar-pant-mens

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 6:56 am

Cheers Guys,

I am replying on a phone so ignore any typos.

I got a pair of these heavily discounted but I am not sure yet if I will keep them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...