Topic

PROFESSOR HIKE: TOP 10 BEGINNER HIKER BLUNDERS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique PROFESSOR HIKE: TOP 10 BEGINNER HIKER BLUNDERS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

more beginner blunders:

buying hiking boots the day before the trip and breaking them in on the trail.
    I've worn trail runners now for so long I don't think of it but you still pass people hobbling with blisters on the trail.

putting the emergency reflective sack over the sleeping bag to stay warm and then drowding in condensation.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

1. taking too much gear: 6 full size bars of soap, lawn chair, machete, canned ham, all real examples.

2. wearing cotton. I used to do it in the Sierra, but learned in the Cascades of Washington that the weather would bite you someday.

3. brand new boots for a backpack

4. planning to hike too far

5. planning to hike too many miles for the wife to have fun, not smart.

6. forgetting stuff: sleeping bag, boots, flashlight, tent stakes, tent poles, food, raincoat. I've forgotten them all.

7. heading out when the weather report is bad, bad, bad. I've never gotten used to backpacking in steady rain.

8. getting lost. some preplanning by having maps, is a good idea

9. not bringing enough food. that is no fun to go to bed hungry, and marmots are harder to kill than you would think.

10. hiking with people with different agendas than you. Personality and control issues, sharing of duties, bad attitudes.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

One that I have heard of several times now but never seen myself, one that blows my mind, is people bringing from home all the water they will need for the entire trip.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

the two pound box of sugar was a mistake

and believing that two man freeze-dried dinners would feed two… :)

Billy

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools