Currently I have a Patagonia R2 that I use with a windshirt for the cooler temps and I also have a Montbell Down Jacket and Nunatak Down Balaclava for below freezing. What I am looking for is something to be used around freezing when it is wet out and that I can layer over the fleece if need be. I should be looking for something with 100g or 60g of Primaloft, correct? I have a long torso and arms so I know that will be a concern when looking for something but I probably should look for things on sale since most synthetic insulation only lasts about 3-4 years, correct?
Topic
synthetic jacket help needed
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
There's a Patagonia Nano Puff in medium on geartrade.com for about 60. There are probably other sizes as well. Montbell Thermawrap, arcteryx atom, MH thermostatic, etc are what you're probably looking for.
But the Patagonia one is the only one with Primaloft (Primaloft One at that).
Love my Arcteryx Atom. I tell anybody who will listen. There aren't many people who will.
I am wondering if I can get a similar warmth wearing my poly base T, windshirt, R2 and rain jacket in those cold and rainy times around freezing. and get away with it. Probably not.
And I am more a size XLT but thanks.
bergsskishop.com has XL thermostatic hooded jacket for $89.97
Also, check out sierra trading Post and use their email coupons, like the Adirondack 35% off ones. They ALWAYS have XL sizes, and often, xlT sizes for lots of great items. Wish they had more smalls in stock. I sometimes see killer prices only to see that they only have xl in stock.
more useful for static situations below freezing
;)
What Eric the bear said. You should look at 100g/m2 or warmer synthetic jackets if you want something to supplement your R2 particularly in winter. A 60g/m2 would be similar in warmth to your R2 with a windproof over it.
I think the Patagonia Micro Puff hoody often ends up being a standout deal since they cycle the colors often and hence go on sale frequently but it is Primaloft Sport, so somewhat less efficient and warm than PL1 jackets.
My buddy has a Montbell Thermawrap Guide and it is an impressive piece at 150g/m2, super warm and nicely packable.
The Arcteryx Atom SV is probably the best designed synthetic jacket I've come across with various niceties that put it one level above the rest — soft, but tightly sealing cuffs, a yoke behind the neck to cut down on drafts, and a superb hood that fits easily over a helmet or other hoods but cinches down when unnecessary. This is the synthetic jacket that most often comes out to play with me when the weather gets cold.
On the other hand, all synthetics will wear out after heavy use over the years, so don't spend too much either.
100 then.
For around freezing, I'm OK in my rab xenon, which has 60 grams, over a wool base layer. If I did a lot of hanging around camp, I'd want more, but I think you'll be more than OK layering a 60 gram piece over your R2 around freezing. I don't like the baggy fit of the nano puff for wearing over a base or a shell, but I think it would be a great fit for layering over an R2. 100 gram jackets tend to weigh too much for the extra warmth you get IMO.
If you do want to go full winter conditions synthetic puffy, the mountain hardwear Blayman looks hard to beat at 200 grams insulation and 25oz. That doesn't sound like what your looking for though…
me too – i'd be fine sitting around in a powerstrech hoodie and a 60 gram top (wild things hooded insulight) at the freezing mark and below. i like the atom lt/insulight more than the nanopuff because of the fit and the stretch/breathable side panels. if in question, go up one size on either the lt or insulight. i'd be thinking 100 gram sitting around in the teens f* with a powerstretch hoodie and a layered windshirt.
"i'd be thinking 100 gram sitting around in the teens f* with a powerstretch hoodie and a layered windshirt."
Anyone else have similar experience with 100g? I'm currently looking at putting together some winter gear and was wondering how far 100 grams of primaloft 1 would take me. I was also curious about how warm layering a 60g / 100g system would be.
"But the Patagonia one is the only one with Primaloft (Primaloft One at that.)"
Rab also uses Primaloft 1 in several of their jackets. The Xenon is 60g and the Generator Alpine is 100g.
For the OP, I have several jackets coming to me in a few days. I can let you know at least on fit how they compare (Xenon X and Alpine Generator). I know from experience that the Nano Puff is quite boxy, not a fit style I care for. I also have an Atom LT and it fits quite well and has great cuffs, fitted side panels, and articulation.
Sorry, I meant of the ones i mentioned. But yes, many good jackets use it.
Anyone else have similar experience with 100g? I'm currently looking at putting together some winter gear and was wondering how far 100 grams of primaloft 1 would take me. I was also curious about how warm layering a 60g / 100g system would be.
"warmth" is very personal and it depends on what you are doing as well …
but a 60gm PL1 poofay is generally equivalent to a 200 wt fleece + windshirt
theres a big difference between quick stops, belays … and having to sit around in it for hours
;)
"theres a big difference between quick stops, belays … and having to sit around in it for hours"
+ 1
Yeah, this one is tricky. Most of my experience with synthetic is with stop and go activities, which for me includes backpacking since I don't tend to do much proper camping. I will say that I've been super impressed with the warmth of my rab xenon with PL1 compared to light down puffies of about the same weight. And though I live in a the dry rocky mountains, the increased ability to dry your base and shell out under a PL1 is a definite +.
Again, a lot of factors here, but I'd bet the R2 and 60 grams of primaloft will keep you pretty comfortable at freezing.
For around freezing I woud layer up the R2 with a 100gm2 piece.
60gm2 pieces are fine for summer use but for down to freezing would need boosting.
The First Ascent Igniter is 100g of Primaloft One for $199.00. It's a great jacket for the price and there are occasional sales, too.
Here is part 2 of this. I have an Eddie Bauer Igniter from about 3 years ago that was given as a gift. I never liked it and barely used it because the synthetic insulation was always really thin (it felt much more like 60/50 than 100). I wore it yesterday in 70F degree temps with only a T on for about 45 minutes and barely even got warm.
I actually tried to swap it yesterday at my local store which is letting me do it because corporate is not because I don't have a receipt. The problem is that there are no more 100g primaloft jackets being made, including the Igniter. There is a 60g one (Backcountry) w/o a hood and 40g one that is about half fleece (Accelerant). Both of which I have no use for. The soft shell they made and the fleece hoody are also not going to be made anymore. And the thing weighs 25oz for an XLT.
unless the igniter was defective … i think you may have issues even with a 100gm PL1 jacket if the above is the case …
do you run warm or cold when sleeping in bags?
;)
No idea. How can you really tell. I know I get much warmer wearing my R2 with a windjacket over it than I did the Igniter. I also went ot a local gear store and tried on a Compressor and a Columbia Omni Heat something and felt a bit warmer in those than the Igniter but not by much.
I always feel like it takes extra time for a heavier synthetic jacket to warm up. Try doing a few jumping jacks in it!
In other news, the Accelerant is one of my favorite jackets, but I do not use it for hiking. It is my climbing jacket for the shoulder season!
Thanks, I will try that tonight. I do have a Thru-hiker.com Maxima Jacket made for me about 6 years ago. The thing is I left at my mother's house when I was visiting and then she hung it and slammed it in between other clothes on the rod for about a year so that it is more like 0.8" instead of 1.2". Now in this jacket with its 6oz Primaloft Sport insulation I do get warm in just wearing it around if that tells you anything but then again that would be more like 170g or probably 120g since it has been compressed. Thing is that thing only weighs about 22-23 oz which is still less than a lot of synthetic jackets.
my wild things belay jacket is 6 oz primaloft (i think) sport. as an example, i was comfortable sitting/laying around (45 minutes on summit of rainier) on a bluebird day at 0*f, 30 mph wind, with a light synthetic base layer, powerstretch hoodie and wind shirt (which i was climbing in). my hands, head, legs and feet were all properly dressed for the occasion.
i was tired, i can nap anywhere (insert wink here)

Brett,
Would you consider using a lightweight down jacket/hoody for under your igniter.
I would but I don't see the point of it. I understand it will cut some weight instead of using a fleece but I like the fleece better because it it can take a lot of abuse, was cheap, still works when wet and doesn't leak like most of the thin down jackets I have seen and tried. And the Igniter is just not enough insulation for 25oz of basically 60g.
What size do you take? as if its Xl or bigger there are plenty of sales on at the moment
Become a member to post in the forums.

