Topic

Attaching different sized sleeping pads together

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedSep 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I searched the forum, and haven't been able to find anything on ideas of how to attach two different sized pads together. I took my girlfriend out on her first trip a couple weeks ago, and her major complaint was that we each had our own pad (instead of one big pad). I have a prolite plus that she likes, so I'm looking to pick up a prolite (since its a bit lighter, and I have lug pretty much all the gear), but I'm concerned about attaching two differently sized pads together. All of my other pads 2.5" inflatables.

I was planning on shock cording the two pads together. Do you think this will work without being too annoying? The pads have a .5" height difference. shock cord it together and call it a day? use closed cell foam pad underneath to make up the difference? wrap it all up in a twin sized sheet and never look back?

any and all advice appreciated.

thanks,
joe

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedSep 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Don't use shock cord. Use fabric cement to attach hook and loop "Velcro". 3 lengths, each 1/2" x 4" is plenty. Done right, they will just meet without overlap. The height difference won't be a problem.

The other approach is a figure 8 of light, light webbing. Like 1/2" piping from the fabric store or the lightest nylon webbing you've ever seen. Or just a strip of pack cloth. Play with the length, there's a tight window of no-gap but no-overlap.

PostedSep 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Cut four 4-foot pieces of accessory cord. Tie two pieces of cord around each pad, one near the top and one near the bottom. Clip the loops together with two mini-carabiners.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...