Topic

snow travel footwear system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) snow travel footwear system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Hand warmers are a bit different than foot or toe warmers. For example, Grabber's hand warmers put out a maximum temperature of 156* F, whereas their foot warmers are 92* F max., and their toe warmers put out a max. of 107* F. I think the chemistry is slightly different for the foot and toe warmers, which function in a fairly low oxygen/ventilation environment, as opposed to the hand warmers. It's no wonder that the hand warmers burned that poor guy's feet.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"Another (warmer) option is the NEOS overboots"
    I have the Adventurer.
    The Salomon boots work better for me because they are lighter, feel more secure and are easier to walk around on rocks and off trail (when I take the snow shoes off)
    I also sweat less with the Beluha boots.

Neos Adventurers plus Innov8 shoes 955g plus 700g= 1655g :

Neos plus runners
    Salomon boots plus OR gaiters :1.3kg plus 200g =1500g:

Boots and gaiters
    Of course the Salomon boots are heavier on my feet than the Innov8 runners but I don't have the extra bulk of the Neos hanging outside the pack.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

I grew up wearing Sorels, rather than trail runners, so I've approached this question from the opposite direction, adapting winter footwear to lightweight, rather than adapting running shoes to winter via a system of socks, gaiters, and so on. Lightest and most comfortable for me has been mukluks with a removable liner. I wear midweight socks, Sorel liners, and the mukluk. This provides enough cushioning for wearing snowshoes. They are not great for traction because they are totally flexible, but much of the time this is more comfortable. Obviously the running shoe thing works for people, but I really dislike it and prefer the simplicity, comfort, warmth, etc. of the mukluk. Regarding the insulated, goretext, etc, winter boots, I have a number pairs of climbing boots like this, and moisture management is really a big issue on multiple days. 've found that my uninsulated, no-membrane mountain boots do better, because I'm using thick removable socks for insulation (I sized up to allow this) and I can dry those way better. Supposedly those RBH vapor barrier socks would make this all a moot point, but I haven't tried them yet. Have fun!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"To keep boots dry from your sweat you need a VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner). My favorite is a pair of seam sealed thin neoprene divers socks over thin polypro liners."

Hmm, VBL plus polypro liners = swamp foot?

I'm not against either VBL, nor polypro, but together (without wool being the first layer on the feet) they sound like one bad recipe for some funky feet.

Besides, you guys make it sound like Justin is attempting Arctic expeditions or something. His expected parameters are not that extreme. My feet would crazy sweat in VPL's with a combo of insulated boots, WPB, etc at only 20 degrees or so. What's the point of that?

I could agree that maybe he needs a bit heavier duty, and a bit more insulated foot wear, but if's he using the Goretex socks and wool socks, i doubt he will be in much danger of frost bite unless he falls into a stream or something, and in that case, very breathable, lighter shoes are going to be much better over heavier, insulated, and/or WPB boots–the latter take forever to dry.

Justin, i would suggest a back up though, of a thicker polypro pair of socks with a pair of thinner wool socks, and yes a VBL of some sort for just in case situations.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

We just got our first snow in the CO high country, which had me slipping around in bread bags and constantly kicking my sportiva helios to keep the snow out from the meshy material on my trip to the gore range. I guess I was thinking a dusting, not like 6 inches, arg. My trip became way too much about dealing with cold feet. Needless to say, I found myself looking for a better solution, too.

I just ordered these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200911821101

For day trips and runs in the foothills, I think these'll do fine with just thicker wool socks, but I may have to try those rocky goretex socks for longer trips. And for when it really piles up, thank goodness for skis.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I like the post about the Borahgear wpb socks and have alread sent off a message to see if he will make me some in about a 14/15 EE. I tried the Rocky Mountian gaiters but they only go up to a 14 and are very tight at that point. I also tried making some for myself but that did not work out as great as I hoped.

And not to sidetrack from the OP but I usually wear sandals year round if I can help it and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how better to use a winter footwear system with them. I can already use my Microspikes with my Chacos so I am not worried about that part. I will not be postholing or going through really deep snow, maybe 6-8" at most and the temps will mostly go down to 20F with temps at maybe 10F or less for a few weeks and that being mainly due to wind chill.

My thought was if I really needed to push the temps I could wear a liner sock, a vpb bag, a medium weight wool sock and the wpb sock over that lot. Or a liner sock, vpb bag and a really thick wool sock. Most of the time I could wear a medium weight wool sock and the wpb socks. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re: cheap VBL's, has anyone tried something like this. Turkey oven bags with some silicone glue dots or strips on the bottom?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I tried putting seam seal on a bread bad but it instantly peeled off. Maybe some tenacious tape would work better.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Good info here. I'm working on my winter footwear also. I agree with others that barefoot runners Lack both insulation from ground and rigidity for traction on angled slopes. Particularly if you intend to do miles, your feet will tire very Quickly. I've done moderate winter peak bagging in MT101s and in Puregrits, including an overnight, and it worked but I had problems with cold and foot fatigue.

I'm considering Merrell Mix Master Mid and Merrell Proterra Mid, both come in gtx options. 4mm drop, slightly thicker, stiffer than minimal runners but less than traditional hikers. I will be over sizing a bit for thicker socks and choosing a gaiter. Chenaults feedback about snagging crap in the strap is good, I have to check on that with these shoes. For overnights in SoCal/Sierras, I would add very warm sleeping socks and keep all this in my blanket at night.

Carrying chemical hand Warmers is a great idea any time you're experimenting with new foot gear in winter!!

Robert Brown

@rob0brown

Locale: Waltham, MA

Tested out a pair of RBH Designs VBL socks independently (no liner and no sock over top of it)this past weekend 05Jan2014 at around 0230 in the morning at 27 degrees in Waltham, MA. I was wearing my INOV-8 Terroc 330's and my mesh bug pants as insulation layer with Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants over that.

Results: Fantastic…walked slowly for 15 minutes through one foot of snow that laid between the roadside and sidewalk, then stood 15 minutes standing still prior to returning inside, I was expecting my feet to freeze out, but only noticed a slight difference drop between moving and stationary. The day before I recognized a huge cooling conduction through the rubber in my PAC-boots with thin merino socks when motionless. Unexpectedly and pleasantly realized that the mesh pant bottom w/ bungees acted as gaiters which prevented snow going down into my sock! I feel like I've discovered gold X2.

Another item that I've been using with great success on other occasions have been my modified no heel swim fin socks (neoprene). I cut through most of the seam on the bottom of the sock and left enough uncut to create a toe pocket( & used with most lightweight shoes). I've used them for winter hiking and for cycling in the rain and they are the "the truth".

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools